Marrying and Sponsoring a Swedish Citizen

Table of Contents

Listen to this article

Marriage to a Swedish Citizen

Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Swedish citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.

If you want to bring your Swedish spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our eTA article.


Processing Time

If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Swedish spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.

An eTA for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing will be granted instantly if approved.

Please see our pages on family sponsorship and the eTA for more information on the processing times of these applications.


Swedish Marriage Basic Requirements

In order to marry a citizen of Sweden, you must demonstrate to the Swedish government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:

  • Proof of country of birth
  • Proof of single status
  • Proof of age requirement


Marrying in Sweden

You do not have to be a resident of Sweden to get married there. Sweden requires that you provide certain documents in order to be allowed to get married in the country.


  • Certified birth certificates,
  •  passports,
  • Certificate of No Impediment

The Certificate of No Impediment (hindersprövning) may need to be posted for 21 days prior to your marriage. You also need to confirm your wedding date and location with a marriage officiant about a month prior to your marriage.

  •  Proof that you are both single and free to marry via a single status affidavit.

Since most of the Consular Services are not providing this form any more in the country, then you should consult an attorney or the services of a notary (notarius publicus) in Sweden.

In Sweden, the proof of single status is apparently different from the Certificate of No Impediment, and both documents are required.

  • A copy of your country’s marriage license laws.

Ask your country’s appropriate office to give you a certified extract of the marriage laws in your city or home country for that matter. The regulations must be stamped, dated, signed, and certified by an authorized official. The Swedish tax authorities may ask for a translation of the regulations.

  • Death certificate and Divorce Decree

If your spouse died, you need to provide a certified, notarized copy of the death certificate. If you are divorced, you need to provide a certified, notarized copy of your final decree of divorce.

  • You have to be 18 years of age to get married in Sweden.

In Sweden you can be married either in a civil or a religious ceremony. You can have your civil ceremony at a local district court or city hall. Note that a marriage license in Sweden is valid for 4 months.

You can obtain your marriage certificate (official registration) by contacting the Swedish Tax Authorities (Skatteverket) at +46 200 270 73498, or if you are still in Sweden, at 0771-778 778.


Swedish Marriage Ceremony

The marriage ceremony to a Swedish citizen can legally take place in Sweden, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or an Electronic Travel Authorization for your Swedish spouse. To learn more about ceremony customs, see below.


Family Members

If your Swedish spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Swedish Marriage document application.

If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Swedish citizen.



The Currency of Sweden is the Swedish Krona


List of Swedish Consulates in Canada

Click here

Canadian Consulate in Sweden

Embassy of Canada in Stockholm

23 Klarabergsgatan

Telephone: 46(0)8 453-3000
Fax: 46(0)8 453-3016 E-mail: [email protected] Website:


View Larger Map

Consulate of Canada in Gothenburg

Viktor Rydbergsgatan 10,411
32 Gothenburg

Telephone: 46(0) 31 707-4288
Fax: 46(0)31 154-099 E-mail:[email protected]

View Larger Map

To call Sweden from Canada, dial:

011 – 46 – Area Code – TEL #

The format should be as follows dial 011 + 46 + phone number

How to call Canada from Sweden

00 – 1 – Area Code – TEL #

Follow the dialling format shown above while calling Canada from Sweden.

  • 00- Exit code for Sweden, and is needed for making any international call from Sweden
  • 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
Province Code Province Code
Alberta 403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
Nunavut 867
BC 236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
Ontario 226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
Manitoba 204 / 431 PEI 782 / 902
New Brunswick 506 Quebec 418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
Newfoundland and Labrador 709 Saskatchewan 306 / 639
Northwest Territories 867 Yukon 867
Nova Scotia 782 / 902


Time Difference with Canada

Canadian Time Zone # of Hours
Sweden is Ahead
# of Hours
during DST
Pacific (BC, Yukon) 9 hours 8 hours
Mountain (Alberta, western Nunavut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan) 8 hours 7 hours
Saskatchewan 8 hours 8 hours
Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario) 7 hours 6 hours
Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec) 6 hours 5 hours
Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec 5 hours 4 hours
Newfoundland 4.5 hours 3.5 hours


Information for Canadians travelling to Sweden

For travel alerts, click here

Sponsoring Your Swedish Spouse

Learn More

Want to know more about marrying in Sweden? Let us know

Sponsorship Review

Immigroup will review your completed spousal sponsorship application.. Immigroup will make sure you have not made any mistakes on your application or in gathering the documentation of your relationship. We will assess your sponsorship letter and give you peace of mind that you are submitting an application with a very good chance of success. Don’t lose sleep at night worrying about whether you’ve done enough. Call us at 1-866-760-2623 for a review.

Also find these contents interesting