The IMM 5481 form should only be filled out when you are sponsoring dependent children who in turn have no dependent children of their own. So it is not necessary to complete if your spouse or partner has no children. In this case, you should move on to Chapter 11.
- If you wish to sponsor dependent children who do in fact have dependent children of their own, you have to use form IMM 1283 – Financial Evaluation. We will cover form IMM 1283 in the next chapter so if your dependent children have dependent children of their own, skip to that form right now.
- If you the Sponsor are a Quebec Resident you do NOT need to fill out this form.
Although our fictional couple have no children together, for illustration’s sake let’s imagine they were married a year earlier and that Carmen gave birth to a daughter in Brazil a few months ago. This is of course would have changed our entries in a number of the forms, but let’s focus on the Generic Application form IMM 0008. In that case box (question) 3 would have had 3 rather than 2 as the answer to the question: how many family members – including you – are in this application?
Next you have to include your employment information:
And the number of people in your family. Question 5 asks you for the number in Box (question) 3 on form IMM 0008. As explained above we have slightly changed our fictional couple’s situation to include a newly-born daughter so the number goes up to 3 instead of 2 as we completed in Chapter 5 where we went through IMM 008.
Question 6 asks if there are any other people financially dependent on you the Sponsor. In this case, we’ll assume there is no one else in Horatio’s family and he has not sponsored anyone else to come to Canada.
Question 7 asks you to add up the totals in the boxes in questions 4, 5, and 6 and use that total for question 7.
Finally, you are asked to list details on any person financially dependent on you who has not been included in IMM 0008 or in Question 5. You also have to list any previous undertakings (sponsorships) you have undertaken. In Horatio’s case there are no other people so we leave the rest of form IMM 5481 blank, as shown right below.
Remember that if you as a Sponsor leave this blank while in fact there are family members of your own or of your spouse/partner who are dependent on you, and then at a later date you apply to undertake to sponsor them, the fact you left out important information in your sponsorship evaluation will cause problems for you and may result in your being unable to sponsor them.
Need help with that mountain of immigration paperwork? Immigroup can help you with your sponsorship application. Please visit our sponsorship service page for more information.
- How to find an honest lawyer in Canada? - January 17, 2022
- Do-it-yourself Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) - January 1, 2022
- How to apply for an American passport for a child from Canada - December 27, 2021