Sponsorship Application: Will my parents/grandparents be able to draw a pension in Canada?

Table of Contents

To be eligible to collect a Canada Pension plan, you must:

  • Be at least 60 years old, AND
  • Have made at least one valid contribution to the CPP – in other words you must have received at least one paycheque from a job in Canada.
  • However, Canada has social security agreements with certain countries so if you have lived worked abroad in one of those countries you may qualify for a pension in Canada.
    • Your parents or grandparents therefore need to check with their home country’s pension system to see if they have a social security agreement with Canada.
    • As well, they also need to have contributed long enough to their home country’s pension system to qualify for a pension in their home country in order to be able to receive a pension in Canada.
    • Go here to see a list of the countries with which Canada has a social security agreement. It includes India and China, many Caribbean countries, and a large number of European countries as well.

Check out our free Parental Sponsorship Course


To be eligible for an Old Age Security (OAS) pension in Canada you must:

  •  Be 65 years of age or older
  • Be either:
    • A Canadian citizen, OR
    • A permanent resident of Canada
    • When your application is approved
  • Have lived in Canada for at least 10 years since the age of 18 (if applying from inside Canada)

If you are applying for OAS from outside Canada, you must:

  • Have been a Canadian citizen or legal resident (PR status) when you left Canada
  • Have lived in Canada for 20 years since the age of 18

In other words, your parents/grandparents will have to wait for at least 10 years from the date they enter Canada in order to apply for OAS.

Have someone from our team call you back and answer all your questions.

Also find these contents interesting