American marrying Canadian

JN_93

Hello,

My boyfriend and i are engaged and will be getting married now he’s American. How can be work in Canada? Does he need to apply for a visa?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If he wants to work here he needs a job offer from a Canadian employer or you need to sponsor him for permanent residence and then he can apply for an open work permit at the same time.

If he works for an international company with offices in Canada, he can see if he can get transferred to a Canadian office.

JN_93

If he wants to work here he needs a job offer from a Canadian employer or you need to sponsor him for permanent residence and then he can apply for an open work permit at the same time.

If he works for an international company with offices in Canada, he can see if he can get transferred to a Canadian office.

Thank you.
If I sponsor him do you know the wait time? And do I need to prove income to support etc?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The processing time is about 12 months. Yes, you need to prove you can support the person you are sponsoring but there is no set income cut off for proving such.