ECA equivalency for Bachelors of Law (Honors) from India?

gaurav3415

Hi

I have a Bachelor's of Law (Hons.) 5-year course from GGSIPU - If we proceed to get ECA from WES then they would assess it as Bachelor's Degree (4 year) as per the WES equivalency tool.

It seems that IQAS/CES would evaluate this as a First Professional Degree - Can someone please confirm this Or recommend where should I get the ECA done from?

The CRS points would drastically change in the scenario.

Also, IRCC claims that Law degrees are professional degrees and extra points can be claimed even if it's assessed as a "Bachelors of Law" or "First Professional Degree"

Thanks
Gaurav

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So we're talking about 112 vs. 126 points, right? 14 points is not really a drastic change, though I can understand that if your score is going to be 455 with 112 (as an example) and 469 with 126 (again, as an example) it could make a big difference given the cut offs right now. (On the other hand, if your score is a lot lower or a lot higher, it will make zero difference.)

I don't know what the credential assessment organizations will actually do but, if you really do believe one will give you more points than the other, shouldn't you apply to that organization?

gaurav3415

So we're talking about 112 vs. 126 points, right? 14 points is not really a drastic change, though I can understand that if your score is going to be 455 with 112 (as an example) and 469 with 126 (again, as an example) it could make a big difference given the cut offs right now. (On the other hand, if your score is a lot lower or a lot higher, it will make zero difference.)

I don't know what the credential assessment organizations will actually do but, if you really do believe one will give you more points than the other, shouldn't you apply to that organization?
Hi Riley

If my Bachelors of Law (Hons.) is evaluated as Bachelors Degree (4 years) ill be at 440 points. If it is evaluated as Dual Degree i'll be at 474 and if it's evaluated as "First Professional Degree" or "Bachelors of Law" ill be at 481 :) Thus the confusion.

Thus i am confused with ECA body to opt for. Moreover ill loose 5 points coming August.

IQAS is not accepting ECA applications. ICES has 20week timeline and WES will evaluate it as Bachelor's Degree.

Help help resolve my confusion.

Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused. I thought you get 112 points for a post-second degree and 126 for a professional degree, which is a 14 point difference. Why is it 41?

gaurav3415

I'm confused. I thought you get 112 points for a post-second degree and 126 for a professional degree, which is a 14 point difference. Why is it 41?
Hi Riley I rechecked and yes the values are correct.

Bachelors --> 442
Dual degree --> 474
Masters or 1st Professional --> 481
Below is the calculation if my education is evaluated as Dual Degree.

View attachment 1193

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Ah okay. I must be looking at an old version of the points weighting.

I don't know if you can submit multiple ECA requests at once. But, if you can afford to (and are allowed) maybe that would be the best route, given how long it will take for one of them. I don't know what else to say, I'm sorry to say.

gaurav3415

Ah okay. I must be looking at an old version of the points weighting.

I don't know if you can submit multiple ECA requests at once. But, if you can afford to (and are allowed) maybe that would be the best route, given how long it will take for one of them. I don't know what else to say, I'm sorry to say.
Hi Riley

I found the workaround or rather the criticality with my case :)

The education will be considered Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession making it 126 points with spouse. WES will evaluate this as Bachelor's degree (4 years) but since this is a licensed profession we can claim the extra points. Had to read between the line the entire day!
But i sincerely thank you to have been following up and helping me around.

Any Licensed professionals looking for help on similar lines do reach out.

Cheers,
Gaurav

saadhasan1994

Hi Riley

The education will be considered Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession making it 126 points with spouse. WES will evaluate this as Bachelor's degree (4 years) but since this is a licensed profession we can claim the extra points. Had to read between the line the entire day!

Cheers,
Gaurav
Hi Gaurav,

Just came across your post and I am currently in the same position. I was hoping if we could chat regarding this just so that I get a clear answer. Please let me know if you can do that! I would really appreciate it! :)

Thanks,
Saad
[email protected]

nhll26

Phone
+971545944835
Email
[email protected]
Hi Riley

Cheers,
Gaurav
Hi Gaurav,

I'm in the same dilemma here. Both my husband and I have a B.A.LLB degree from India and WES evaluated it as "Dual Bachelors Degree (four years)". Subsequently, the "two or more degrees, diploma, certificates" option has disappeared from EE profile dropdown menu. Will choosing "masters or professional degree" cause any issues? We reached out to WES and they asked us to put our degrees separately but that still gives us 112 points and we are hoping to get 119 or 126.

For context, this is from CIC website but there's no equivalent option on the EE profile to choose from.

Attachments

saucespuzzling

Hi Gaurav,

I'm in the same dilemma here. Both my husband and I have a B.A.LLB degree from India and WES evaluated it as "Dual Bachelors Degree (four years)". Subsequently, the "two or more degrees, diploma, certificates" option has disappeared from EE profile dropdown menu. Will choosing "masters or professional degree" cause any issues? We reached out to WES and they asked us to put our degrees separately but that still gives us 112 points and we are hoping to get 119 or 126.

For context, this is from CIC website but there's no equivalent option on the EE profile to choose from.

I have also started taking writing courses, and I hope this will help raise my GPA. I have a free topic for homework, and I decided to write about racial profiling because, for people from India, this is a very sensitive topic. I studied this topic and relied on sources where free racial profiling essay examples, racial profiling essays and papers, check this info to find as much useful info as possible. With that source, I understand that eliminating racial profiling can contribute to a more just society where everyone is treated fairly and respectfully regardless of race or ethnicity. I hope that such a society will become available to us soon.
Did you manage to solve the problem?