Am I eligible?

vivajulian

Hi folks,

New here and would like to pick your brains on a citizenship application matter.

My story goes that my biological mom and my father divorced when I was little and she got married again and moved to Canada (she received her Canadian citizenship in 1998). I just got my birth certificate from Taiwan which shows her relationship to me. In this case, I was wondering if I could also apply for Canadian citizenship? If so, how/where shall I start?

Cheers,
JC

You are eligible for Canada citizenship given that you need to prove your relationship with your biological mother via birth certificates or anything valid. Also, she is ready to sponsor you for citizenship.

vivajulian

You are eligible for Canada citizenship given that you need to prove your relationship with your biological mother via birth certificates or anything valid. Also, she is ready to sponsor you for citizenship.
Thanks so much, John. So I need to ask my mom to sponsor me in addition to my birth certificate. Shall I (or she or both) need to fill out the application (which form it is?)? Do I need to reside in Canada or I can apply overseas (I currently live/work in Australia)?

Cheers

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I must disagree with John. If she was born before her mother became a Canadian citizen, how is she eligible for citizenship?

vivajulian

Hmm, now I am confused. Does that matter whether I was born before or after my mom got her citizenship (given that I could provide the birth certificate)?

North Star

I apologize for writing here.

I would like to ask am I eligible to obtain citizenship through my father and grandfather in my case?

My father was born 1950 outside Canada and for the first time got certificate of citizenship last year in Canadian embassy abroad. He was never live in his life in Canada.

He obtained citizenship by birth through his father.
His father (my grandfather) was born in Canada 1922.

On father's citizenship certificate now has the information that he is a citizen from 1950/08/30 (Effective date of citizenship 1950/08/30). Does that mean he was a citizen before I was born?

I was born 1985 outside Canada before 2009, when new rules came into force, limit citizenship by descent to the first generation born outside Canada.

Also, Grandpa's uncle was a Canadian volunteer in World War I.
I have all the information on his service number.

Do I have chance to become a citizen through my father, grandfather and grandpa's uncle family history?

Thanks for your attention. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, now I am confused. Does that matter whether I was born before or after my mom got her citizenship (given that I could provide the birth certificate)?
Yes. You only inherit citizenship through descent if your parent has that citizenship at the time of your birth.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I apologize for writing here.

I would like to ask am I eligible to obtain citizenship through my father and grandfather in my case?

My father was born 1950 outside Canada and for the first time got certificate of citizenship last year in Canadian embassy abroad. He was never live in his life in Canada.

He obtained citizenship by birth through his father.
His father (my grandfather) was born in Canada 1922.

On father's citizenship certificate now has the information that he is a citizen from 1950/08/30 (Effective date of citizenship 1950/08/30). Does that mean he was a citizen before I was born?

I was born 1985 outside Canada before 2009, when new rules came into force, limit citizenship by descent to the first generation born outside Canada.

Also, Grandpa's uncle was a Canadian volunteer in World War I.
I have all the information on his service number.

Do I have chance to become a citizen through my father, grandfather and grandpa's uncle family history?

Thanks for your attention. I'm looking forward to your reply.
Yes, I believe you can apply for the certificate.