Appeal process without a lawyer?

yoo3036

Hi, I'm in the process of appeal for PR. I was issued a removal order, so I filed for the appeal. (this was about a year and a half ago.)

In my understanding, the reason for the denial of renewal for my PR was that they didn't recognize about two years worth of my time spent in Canada, because the Canadian border officer didn't stamp my passport/whatever they needed to do to put my arrival on the record, when I travelled to the U.S. and came back. (So basically, there were just two consecutive records of me going outside of Canada which were almost two years apart, without the record of my return which was supposed to be there)

I read somewhere that in a case where I can just prove the initial reason for denial false, I can choose to file the necessary documents to do this without having to wait for the court call. But I don't know how to do this. Is this something I can do on my own? or do I need a lawyer? I'm hesitant to go to a lawyer because I just don't have the money for it.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately your very question is one that I cannot answer (I don't have the knowledge or qualification) and I'd recommend a consultation with one of our consultants ($150+HST). I understand you don't want to spend the money, but figuring out your options might be better than struggling through.
Alternatively you can look for an settlement organization, to see if any of them can give you some free legal assistance.

Sorry for the bad news.

can'tsayforsure

So. have the conditions changed now?
Things might have changed now, and you should contact a lawyer that knows more information about this. Some special lawyers deal only with cases like this and are up to date with everything. I haven't had a case like this, but I'm sure someone from parramatta lawyers can help you with your situation. It's the easiest way to get a good consultation. I'm sure they have someone that knows everything about this in their team.
I worked with them on different cases and only had positive results. Everyone working there is a professional, and you would be in good hands.