Canadian and Chilean marriage, sponsoring a Chilean

allisonso1976

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have been wanting to marry since forever. The 6 months time I was in Chile all the dates were booked and couldn't make it happen. He will be coming here under a visitor visa and I would like to ask if we can marry in Canada? I am a Canadian citizen. We are indeed expecting a baby in January just in case the Canadian government suspects our marriage. Can I be able to sponsor him later on? I want him to be with me as much as possible for the early years of our baby.

Thank you! :)

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You can marry him in Canada. The exact process (and cost) varies slightly from province to province.

Once you are married, you can submit a sponsorship application. The pregnancy will help with the sponsorship application.

allisonso1976

Thank you,

I have another question, how can he obtain a work visa? And can he marry me with a work visa? He is planning to come in November. Do I need to send an invitation letter for him to come here, what are the procedures?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, the easier thing is for him to apply for a work permit at the time of the sponsorship. If he can get a visitor visa, come to Canada, and marry you in Canada, you can sponsor him "inland" (meaning he, the sponsored spouse, is physically in Canada). At the time you submit the application, he can submit an "open" work permit application which, once approved, will allow him to work in Canada without an existing job offer.

If, on the other hand, he tries to apply for a work permit now, he'll need a job offer from a Canadian employer and something called a Labour Market Impact Assessment.

Hope this helps.

allisonso1976

Hi,

So, I can make a sponsor application for him while him being in Canada, but can he open a work permit while being in a visitor visa? For example, he is in Canada and his visa is about to expire, can he open the work permit visa as a renewal visa physically in Canada or does he have to go back to Chile, get the work visa there and come back again?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
but can he open a work permit while being in a visitor visa?
To be eligible for the open work permit, you need to have applied to sponsor him. A work permit transitioning from the visitor visa would require a job offer.

he is in Canada and his visa is about to expire, can he open the work permit visa as a renewal visa physically in Canada or does he have to go back to Chile, get the work visa there and come back again?
As long as you submit the sponsorship application before or at the same time as the work permit application, he doesn't need to leave the country to apply.

allisonso1976

Hiiii,

I was thinking of sending an invitation letter for my boyfriend to come as visitor. How do I make an invitation letter? How do I send it? I read the government website but it was kind of hard to understand.

Thank you very much

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I've never written one, but my understanding is that you state his name and that he is coming to visit you for a given length of time (give dates). And then you say you'll help (or completely) support their stay. That kind of thing.

allisonso1976

Thank you very much for your help,

just one more thing, does a Chilean need a visa to get a visitor visa or can he come to Canada with just passport and eTA?

allisonso1976

Thank you and Hi,

I would like to ask (again haha) how long does an invitation letter take to get accepted/rejected? He wants to buy his ticket for the 29th of September but I don't know how long does the invitation process takes. Also he is coming for 6 months, he doesn't need visa for that right?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if he gets his eTA he doesn't need an invitation letter.

Provided he is granted the eTA, he will be allowed entry into Canada for up to 6 months, though it is at the discretion of the officer at the port of entry.