Canadian citizen sponsoring international student with work -permit after graduation

While I have been studying at the Canadian college, I got married to a Canadian citizen. We are about to get our marriage certificate and I also applied for a work permit after graduation already. I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I submit 2 applications at once ( work-permit and sponsorship)
2. What kind of sponsorship ( application form) in my case should I pick
3. What kind of additional docs the government might request from us ( me and my partner)
4. How long does it usually take to review sponsorship application and how soon I will be able to apply for PR after.
Thank you for your time

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
1. Yes, you can apply for two things at the same time. Are you applying for an open work permit or a PGWP?
2. Inland sponsorship as you are in Canada
3. There is a document checklist available at IRCC's website. The list is long.
3. It takes approximately 12 months between when you submit the application and when you receive the decision, but it's an average.

Hope this helps.

1. Yes, you can apply for two things at the same time. Are you applying for an open work permit or a PGWP?
3. It takes approximately 12 months between when you submit the application and when you receive the decision, but it's an average.

Hope this helps.
I already applied for PGWP
Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you've already applied for the PGWP there is no reason to apply for the spousal open work permit unless your PGWP is refused. The spousal open work permit usually takes way longer to process. Was that the question?

Hope this helps.
In the checklist for my application it says :
  • The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 or older must provide a copy of all pages of their labor book/workbook if they hold a passport for this country.
Question: Is it necessary to submit a labor book/ and how possible I can do it
Thank you

Would you, please, clarify this step of the application process for me?
I am going to apply under Canada Class ( as I live in Canada right now), but I do not see this option on the application form.
I attached the file ( so you can see what I mentioned above). Thank you

One more question.
I collected all requested docs for the application. The question about submission.
Do I have to send my package by mail to the office, or can I create a new profile with the same information and tracking the process online?
I tried to find out how to create a new profile but spent lost of time without success. :( Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You're looking for a checkbox to indicate it's an "inland" application? I don't think there is one. They review it and figure out which office will process it.

If this is a spousal sponsorship application - that's what we're talking about, right? - it must be submitted by mail.

Yes, its a spousal sponsorship application ( inland). Somehow in Schedule A Background they request Application #, which I assume, can be shown only after creating a new profile....

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I have never submitted an application, as I am just the webmaster, but I don't think you get an application number until you submit it. Don't know why it would be required at this stage. (Is it 'office use' only?)

I found out the answer:
"Leave this section blank. You will only be able to complete this question if you have already been informed of your application number":)

In the checklist in Section "Proof relationship to the sponsor", I would like to pick "Proof of joint ownership of residential property".
Question is: By the documents my partner is the only owner of the house, my name is not there yet. How can we possibly prove that we both share
the popery as a married couple? Thank you.")

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't jointly own it I don't see how you can say you do. Living in there is not the same as owning it.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I have never submitted one of these applications myself, as I'm just the webmaster, but my understanding is that when there is nothing on the form that fits your situation, a letter of explanation is usually the best answer.

I have never submitted one of these applications myself, as I'm just the webmaster, but my understanding is that when there is nothing on the form that fits your situation, a letter of explanation is usually the best answer.
Thanks a lot. I found out that a cover letter is a good option.