Clergy work permit

mars10

Hi Folks,
Need a little bit of urgent guidance here. I am here in Canada on a visitor visa and i have an employment offer from the Church to work as clergy/ youth worker. I have 3 months remaining on my visitor status and I have a multiple entry canada visa till 2021. Can i apply for a work permit under R205(d) with the LMIA exception and send the application to Vegreville? or can I just go to the border and do a flagpole and seek the permit at the border? I am from non Visa exempt country as stated above but have multiple entry visa and I dont need a medical examination, as I was living in the US for the past 4 years and traveled to India for only 2 months end of last year. So would flagpole be an option?
in short what would be best option to get a work permit under clergy LMIA exempt category and where should I send the application?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I would think that, because you have that multiple entry visa, you are okay to flagpole. But I personally have not looked into a situation like this before, so I'm not sure I can answer authoritatively. Have you tried calling CIC?

And I think you'd have to flagpole anyway...I mean, when you receive the work permit you'd have to "land" anyway. So this may be the easier route.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
I spoke to one of our consultants and he wouldn't recommend flagpoling without the permit. Apply for it from within Canada directly through CIC (aka IRCC). Sorry for the confusion.

Riley