Closed Work Permit - Receiving Second Income from abroad.


New Member
I'm currently holding a work permit that says I'm only allowed to work for my specific employer, although I'm interested in starting earning a second income through commissions of Online operations in the US, and I want to stay all clear with the CRA and declare that money in my tax form, I'm I allowed to earn that income from abroad while on a Specific Employer Work Permit?

Riley Haas

Staff member
That is a really good question and I am sorry to say I do not know the answer.

My guess would be that, if the income is additional to the work you are doing on your closed work permit, this is not an issue. They are concerned about people applying for work permits who then do not work for Canadian employers while living here.

But I would suggest running this by an RCIC or a lawyer before going ahead with it.