Dual Intent


New Member
We are stuck in a situation where we don't know how to proceed and would like to know whether you provide advice on how to move forward.

A. My wife and I created an EE profile October 10,2019 with my wife as the main applicant.
Our crs score was 436 at the start, but after redoing the TCF we updated our profile the 15th of june 2020 leaving us with a crs score of 470

B. Meanwhile as we were waiting for the tcf results we decided that i needed a proper licensing/education for my skills whether it applies to my home country or if we ended up receiving an ITA when IRCC proceed with EE draws for FSW, and so i proceeded by applying to x college in Ontario for the program of x which perfectly applies in my professional life since my parents own an establishment that i already work in and am hoping to expand, and i also work in my private workshop within the field of x. But since my parents are reaching a certain age I would like to take over the business.
Keep in mind that college has accepted my application and i have proceeded with the payment of the first semester.
Also keep in mind that the college announced that the courses for september 2020 are remotely and in-person for the program i had selected.

So for the time being we are about to apply for my study permit but have a few factors that need addressing

The questions are as follows

1. Is it considered as dual intent if we haven't received an ita?

2. What are the risks of dual intent in a situation such as ours?

3. Does an EE profile mean we have a uci?

And most importantly

4. Is it advisable for my wife to apply for a TRV along with my study permit(on the same profile) so she can help me settle in canada?
Or would there be any form of refusal that might (a) affect my study permit which will later in turn potentially (b)affect our PR application if we receive an ITA in the future?
Keep in mind that i have very strong ties(refer to part B.)


5. Would it be better to apply alone and then after receiving my study permit have my wife apply for a TRV?

6. Would applying generally to a study permit accompanied my spouse a reason for refusal from a visa officer's point of view? Will it affect our EE profile in any way negatively?

7. Due to coronavirus outbreak there are travel restrictions, but the exemptions apply to foreign nationals with an immediate family member temporarily residing in Canada as a student if provided with written authorization, so does that make it safe to apply at the same time or wait for my study permit (if it was accepted) and then have my wife apply?

Riley Haas

Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. You can apply for and receive a study permit while having a profile for EE. You don't have to worry about this situation.
  2. See 1
  3. I actually don't know the answer to this question, as I have never personally submitted an EE profile. But my guess would be you are assigned a UCI either when you apply for the study permit OR when you get an ITA. If the goverment assigned UCIs to every EE profile they would need too many - there are just tons of people (10s of thousnds) sitting in the EE pool who will never receive ITAs.
  4. This is a legitimate concern in some circumstances but it can be managed, I think. You both need to demonstrate your intention to return home after the study permit/visitor visa expires.
  5. I don't know that this changes the situation but I am not a consultant so I'm not 100% sure.
  6. I can't imagine why. What's the fear here? If her visitor visa is denied it's because they believe she will try to overstay. Only if the visa application is denied could that theoretically affect a PR application.
  7. I think I would wait for the study permit but I'm not 100% sure that it matters. A number of these questions are better answered by an RCIC (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant) or a lawyer.