Eligibility for PR card renewal

R.avis

Hi, my family and I got PR cards in 2012.Due to family obligations we returned back to our home country,after a few months.I came back to canada and renewed my PR card only before it expired but had to go back to my home country because my family was still there.Now I want to move back to canada with my family, for my childrens higher education.Since their PR cards have expired what are my chances of doing so and are there any successful ways for that?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Since your PR Card is expired your option was limited to one thing, pre pandemic: flying to the US and entering Canada by car with your COPR/Record of Landing.

However, I don't know if that's a viable strategy right now because the border is closed.

R.avis

Since your PR Card is expired your option was limited to one thing, pre pandemic: flying to the US and entering Canada by car with your COPR/Record of Landing.

However, I don't know if that's a viable strategy right now because the border is closed.
Hi, Thanks for your previous reply.I just wanted to know if it's possible for my children to obtain a Study Permit to enter Canada and then renew their PR from within Canada?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If your children are PRs, they shouldn't be allowed to get study permits. Study permits are for people who do not have status in Canada yet (or have some other form of temporary status).

R.avis

Yes.As I mentioned before all our PR cards have expired about 4 years ago.So even then is it not possible for them to apply for Study Permit?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone can apply for anything. The issue is whether or not the applications will be approved. They are not eligible for study permits so their study permit applications should be refused. Is it possible they could be granted them due to a mistake? Sure, I guess so.

Given how long your family has not been in Canada, PRTDs are not good options. (If they apply for PRTDs and the government figures out how long they've been outside of Canada, their statuses will be revoked and you will have to sponsor them. Assuming your PR Card is still valid.)

The only viable option, under normal circumstances, would be to come to the US and attempt to enter Canada by private vehicle (i.e. car). The border is closed until June 21, though it is open to PRs. (Of course, if the only proof you have is your Records of Landing/COPRs from 2012, that could be an issue.) It may open then or it may be delayed. Canada is vaccinating like crazy right now so it's possible that the border will open then. There is still risk with this option as it is possible that their statuses could be revoked while attempting to enter.