Eligibility

SweetySweet

Hi,
I am 43 from India, having just secondary education as my qualification, self employed with a small boutique that I run from my house itself and I have 3 minor children as dependents. I've had a series of mishaps on my personal front:
I was a victim of domestic violence in my first marriage and then after a live-in relationship of almost 5 years my partner too dumped me and walked away.
Though I have have gone through a tumultuous past, I have gathered myself up and have decided to start life anew in a new place. Canada is one place which I am contemplating about, but I do not how to go about it. It seems impossible for a person like me with just a secondary education to even dream about it... Nevertheless, I want to check with you if there is a possibility of me moving to Canada with my children through some means or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the only ways you could immigrate to Canada would be to come as a temporary resident on either a work permit (requires a job offer from a Canadian employer, backed up by what is known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment) or a study permit (which requires paying are extremely expensive international student fees).

Hope this helps.

SweetySweet

Thanks for your prompt reply Riley, but at 43 years of age is it possible for me to get a student visa to Canada? About the other option again what are the chances of me getting a work permit considering the fact that I am experienced only in running a women and kids' wear boutique? Do they issue work permits to tailors???

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Provided you get accepted to an eligible school, it doesn't matter how old you are for a study permit application.

As for the work permit - that depends on many factors. Where is the job? What is the labour market like in the town/city where the job is? Are there equally or better qualified Canadian tailors who could be hired instead?