Family Business - Work Experience

Sara SHUNG

Hi,
Please can someone clarify this for me.

1 ) I have 1.8 years of work experience in corporate sector. Now, I'm working Full-time in my family business.Can this qualify for work-experience under FSW stream. Do they reject applications with such a profile ?

2) In my previous job, I have only 8 months salary slip, and 4 months was paid in cash. How can I claim it as 1 year even when I do not have slips for 4 months of cash. It was a 3 years program with one of the Big 4 companies but I completed only 1 year and then switched to another job. I want to use that 1 year of experience as well but the company does not provide any certificate until you complete 3 years.

I appreciate the help and guidance.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. As far as I know, IRCC is skeptical of work experience in a family business because the occupation is not merit-based.
  2. You need to get a letter of employment confirming you were working when you don't have the pay stubs.
Hope this helps.

Sara SHUNG

hi Riley Haas,

Thanks for the reply.

What could they mean by : work experience on merit based ?
I will get pay monthly stipend via bank . And in terms of salary, it is much more than I was getting working for another company.

Would this still create a problem for me in future ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
All I meant is that, in a family business, you get the job because you're a family member, not because you went through a competitive process. So I don't know how seriously they take that kind of work experience.

RichardBrown

There are many problems associated with the experience of working in a family business. Indeed, this experience may not be considered since you got this job only because you are a family member. It says nothing about your professionalism and competence. But if your family business is a large company with several branches, then the situation may change in your favour. My family's family business is quite a large company. My parents annually apply for an audit of branches to https://corporateinvestigation.com/opr-oig-investigations/ example. And of course, this work experience of mine will be taken into account in any case.