financial eligibility

HAZ

Hi,
I am from Egypt and I have two children from a previous Egyptian spouse. Four years ago I met my current Canadian husband.( he is Egyptian but got the Canadian citizenship more than 15 years ago. Now he wants to sponsor me and my two kids. but the problem that his annual income doesnt fit 4 persons according to the minimum low income requirements ... barely it would cover two persons only . can he still sponsor us ? or the application is likely to be refused. and if we find that the only way is to sponsor me alone , will we be eligible later on after getting my PR to sponsor my kids ? and what is going to be needed then ?

thank you.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The income requirement is for sponsoring parents, not spouses and children. But it can be used as a rough guide as to what IRCC may deem unacceptable for a spouse and children.

If you're worried the application will be rejected due to lack of funds, and there's nobody he can get to help him, then yes, in theory, you can sponsor your kids later. They have to be young enough. And you'll have to include them in this application as non-accompanying children so IRCC knows they exist for when you want to sponsor them.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
There are no specific rules regarding dating sites. For sponsorship, you have to show the relationship is genuine. What "genuine" means is up to the person assessing your application, but proof usually entails evidence of the relationship such as text messages/emails, pictures of you together, proof of travel together, and proof of family and friends attending your wedding (as well as testimonies from friends about your relationship).