Flag Polling for PGWP


New Member

I have just graduated from university and I am looking to apply for a PGWP. I had gone out of status but, I recently got my status as a student restored so, I have a valid study permit. However, I am from a non-visa exempt country and I do not have a TRV to re-enter into Canada. I would like to know if I can flag poll to obtain a PGWP or would I need to renew my TRV before doing so?
Hello ,

You can flagpole anytime and anywhere but to do that you must need a valid US visa to do a flagpole and valid Canadian visa.
If you are applying PGWP first time, then CBSA just need Transcript, certificate and valid study permit.
Not sure that you can flagpole for extension/renewal.
Please confirm this with CIC before taking any step.

You can also consider this

If you graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution and are applying for a post-graduation work permit from outside Canada, you must indicate this on your Application form for a work permit made from outside Canada (IMM 1295):

In the section “Details of intended work in Canada”:

Question 1: Choose “Open Work Permit”
Question 2a (Name of employer): Write “Post Graduate Work Permit”

You have up to 180 days after you receive confirmation from your school that you have completed your study program to apply for a work permit. This confirmation could be a degree, diploma, transcript or official letter from your school.

Make sure you submit proof that you have completed all the requirements of your program of study (final transcript and a letter from the institution or formal notice of graduation).

Riley Haas

Staff member
If you are driving across the border and returning by car (or walking both ways) you should be okay without the TRV. Don't know about bus or train. Definitely need a visa for flying.