Future wife immigration to Canada

ChrisT

Hello,

I am Canadian Citizen and my girlfriend is Haitian. We want to get married in September in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. We have been together since 5 January 2016 and have rented an apartment in Puerto Plata since then. In June I tried to get a visitor visa for her which was denied.

So I came back alone to Canada, looking for a job. I have been working here at the Superstore for roughly a month and also have applications in with Michelin and the military. What is the best way to get my fiance here? Immigration first and then visa application 2 weeks or visa first? Are there any income requirements? I don't want to put in all the effort and money just to have it denied and having to fly down to the Dominican just because I can't get her into Canada.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chris,
Can you tell me why the visitor visa was denied?

Depending upon the reason why the visa was denied, re-applying for a visa might be the better option, but immigration might be too.

There are no exact income requirements for sponsorship, but there are definitely requirements - they make a qualitative judgment about your ability to provide for the sponsored spouse.