Husband Had to Leave Canada B4 Receiving 1st PR card

Manny2022

Hi,

My husband came to Canada on a spousal sponsorship PR in late Mar 2022. We then waited for his PR card to be sent in the mail but it never came (they have the correct address on file). We tried calling IRCC but to no avail as they never answer the call. In late May, two months after arriving, his dad got sick and he went back home in early June. He left without getting his PR card. The card still hasn't arrived but his dad is feeling better and he'd like to come back.

My question is what would be the best route for him to enter the country. I've given up hope that the PR card will be mailed out. Should he try driving in from the U.S border with his landing papers or should he try getting the PRTD? And how long does it normally take to get the PRTD?

Also could his PR be revoked because he left the country so soon after he landed? I'm stressing out about this because I found out that I'm pregnant and need him to be here with me soon.

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
He has a few options:

1. Use the US/Canada border by car. He will need a valid passport and record of landing (IMM1000). They may give him a hard time, but this will work.
2. Get a PRTD before returning (land or air travel).

PR is only in jeopardy for people that have been out of Canada for a few years.