International Student Wants to immigrate to Canada

madanl

Hi,

I am a nonresident in USA; i came as an international student and got my bachelors degree from an american university. I graduated in December 2014 and now I am working in my field of studies(accounting). My employer applied for H1B working visa, but I did not get elected. So now I am considering of working/ immigrating to Canada. Do you have to have a job offer from a Canadian employer in order to start the process of applying for work visa? If you do have a job offer, what does the employer have to do? How long does the process take? For how long is the work visa valid?

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
To answer your questions:
  • |You need a job offer in most cases. There are a few exceptions: http://www.immigroup.com/news/what-lmia-and-which-occupations-are-exempt
  • If you require a job offer you usually also require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which your employer has to get - it's the government's permission to hire you.
  • Processing time is dependent on lots of things. Assuming you have a job offer and an LMIA (and it's the LMIA that will take months), a work permit is processed at different speeds, depending on where you are in the US, but it's 3 months in NYC at the moment.
  • A work permit's validity is usually at the discretion of the officer but it could be for a couple years, depending on a host of factors. And you can renew them.
Hope this helps.

muslim.bendada

Hi! I am 29 years old from algeria.I am an engineer in electronics.married.have experience of many fields .I wanna immigrate to canada or us.so any infos to help please!!