Is it possible to fix an error in the application?

sammy_az

I sent our spousal sponsorship application in October 2019. My spouse and I got married in August 2019, but we were in contact with each other's family since January of the same year. In my mind at the time, it didn't seem like an arranged marriage hence I selected "no" for that section. Now that I'm recalling the situation I think it was arranged and it was a mistake and am now having major doubts. Is there anyway I can notify CIC that we had poor judgment at that time and would like to change info on that section? Please help.

We had a small engagement ceremony with 50 people and a big wedding ceremony of 400 people that we sent (from both) photos of. Is there anything I can do to fix this mistake?

Any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Last edited:

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I have no idea if this is a big deal. To the best of my knowledge, the question is trying to determine whether or not there is a likelihood that the relationship won't last. If your families arranged this marriage for you, without your participation, then I guess this could be construed as lying on your application. But if it's somewhat less formal, I'm not sure it's a big deal.

You should probably talk to a lawyer or a consultant to get a legal opinion. Alternatively, you could just inform IRCC that you would like to change your answer to "Yes". You can try doing this by submitting a Case Specific Enquiry online. Or you can submit it by mail with reference to your application number.

sammy_az

Honestly I have no idea if this is a big deal. To the best of my knowledge, the question is trying to determine whether or not there is a likelihood that the relationship won't last. If your families arranged this marriage for you, without your participation, then I guess this could be construed as lying on your application. But if it's somewhat less formal, I'm not sure it's a big deal.

You should probably talk to a lawyer or a consultant to get a legal opinion. Alternatively, you could just inform IRCC that you would like to change your answer to "Yes". You can try doing this by submitting a Case Specific Enquiry online. Or you can submit it by mail with reference to your application number.
thanks for your respone, Riley. I wonder if I should ask first, then wait for a response, or to just explain my situation and attach the new document with it.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well you can ask. If you call IRCC you are likely not going to get much of a response. I don't know if a Case Specific Enquiry will get you a better response or not. It should, I would think, but I honestly don't know.