looking for a job in Canada currently holding a tourist visa

hernandez28

I'm a registered nurse in the Philippines but no experience at the hospital being a nurse cause after I graduated and passed the boards I moved to Singapore to work as a Pre-school Teacher (Infant and Toddler). I have been working in Singapore as a Teacher for 6 years now. I already have a tourist visa in Canada. I plan to go there and apply for work but I don't know how to begin. What is the best option for me? I've heard about the caregiving program (heard it's temporarily closed) , and student visa (but I don't have enough savings yet). Would it still be possible for me to find a job there? I want to get back to Nursing but I don't know the first step to take. I am also willing to try other jobs. Hope I could see a response soon. Thank you!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you attempt to enter Canada for the purpose of looking for work, you will be denied entry. You cannot legally work in Canada without a work permit and most people cannot get a work permit without a job offer. Yes, in theory, you can look for work in Canada on a tourist visa, but if that is the purpose of your trip you will not be admitted.

You are right, live-in caregiver is closed.

Most people get job offers through networking, I'm sorry to say.

Because you're a teacher, you might be eligible for Express Entry (but if you do not have a degree or diploma in education, that's a problem): https://www.immigroup.com/express-entry

hernandez28

thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I also want to ask, what if I was able to find an employer and they get a work permit, how long will it take for me to be eligible to apply for permanent residency? They say it takes atleast 2 years. So anyone can apply for permanent residency irregardless of the type of job?

I also have a visa in the US, is it easier for me to get a job there?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It's a year if you are
  • working full time and
  • working in a occupation deemed "skilled."
Obviously, this must be legal work too (i.e. on a valid work permit and not under-the-table).

But that's when you can be eligible. The application process will take 6 months from when you receive an Invitation to Apply, and that can take months, depending upon your points.

I'm sorry to say I can't help you with the question about the US. I know nothing about their labour market or their extremely complicated visa system.