Marriage- Canadian to Ukrainian

Robert-D

Can a Canadian Citizen marry a Ukrainian Citizen in Canada then after the marriage my Ukrainian spouse will return to the Ukraine and we will complete our Spousal Application under the Family Class from Outside of Canada (Overseas Sponsorship)? This as I understand is a quicker process than filing the Inland Application. My Ukrainian fiancee has a TRV for Canada

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can do that. You should just make sure that your future spouse brings proof that they will return to Ukraine after they come visit you.

Robert-D

Riley....one more question. Once my Ukrainian fiancee and I are married and the Application has been submitted and received by CIC and is in process, if my spouse wishes to visit me for 2 or 3 weeks in Canada,(as I know there is no problem for me to travel to the Ukraine to see her), will her visit to Canada affect or delay the processing of her application for PR under there family class? Her TRV is good for another 6 years (until the expiry of her Ukrainian Passport) Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, as long as the TRV is multiple entry (I assume it is), this is fine. But she will have to "prove" to the officer that she will return to Ukraine after she visits you, such as a deed/lease agreement, an employment contract, that kind of thing.

Robert-D

Thank you Riley. Could you please confirm if the copy of our marriage certificate ( It will be in English because we are getting married in BC) has to be notarized or certified? As in CIC information certifying and notarizing of Documents only applies to Documents that are not in English or French, Am I correct? Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It needs to be notarized. It depends on the country of the sponsored spouse and, for Ukrainians, there is this additional requirement.

Robert-D

Thank you Riley. Your reply was it (marriage certificate) needs to be notarized. This Marriage certificate will be in English as we are getting married in Canada. You also mentioned " It depends on the country of the sponsored spouse and, for Ukrainians, there is this additional requirement." What is the additional requirement? Contrary to what I was told last time ( approx one month ago) when I contacted the CIC Call Centre that their policy had changed and were no longer allowed to answer any questions......now seems to have been reversed. I call them this morning and I asked about my Documents, i.e. birth certificate, Passport, marriage certificate, etc and the CIC representative told me that only Documents that are not in English or French must be notarized as per CIC website information. Does this seem correct? Thanks again for your help

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, my apologies, I meant your marriage certificate and getting the marriage certificate notarized was the additional requirement I was referring to.

I spoke to one of our consultants this morning and he said that for certain countries, all copies of marriage certificates (regardless of language) must be notarized. It's to prevent human trafficking, I believe.

Robert-D

Hi Riley.....Thank you.....the marriage will be performed in Canada, province of BC, and marriage certificate will be provided by the BC provincial government so in this case the photocopy does not require to be notarized nor translated to English because it is already in English. Before one gets married in Canada at least in BC, you have to buy a marriage licence from the government of BC and then when after/before the marriage the Marriage Commissioner signs the Marriage Licence with the two parties involved and two witnesses, all signing, and this Document along with the actually Marriage Certificate will be submitted with our applications. So in this case I see no reason to have these documents notarized. Yes, it the wedding took place in another country then certainly it would have to be recognized by the Canadian Government, then translated to English by certified translator and notarized. Am I correct with this thinking?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you are submitting originals, they do not need to be notarized, as far as I know. I'm sorry for the confusion, I was referring to copies. But let me double check for you.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Again, my apologies for any confusion. If you are submitting originals, and they are Canadian, then you do not need any notarization.

Robert-D

Hi Riley. Confusion is definitely the name of the game when dealing with CIC. I am only referring to my Application as Sponsor. Firstly, all my photocopies of my supporting documents are in English including the Marriage Certificate. So, therefore no certified translation required. I would never send any original documents to CIC unless requested. Secondly, today having asked this specific question to CIC "do my photocopies that are in English have to be notarized?" ANSWER: Only if stated in the application where the photocopies must be notarized. However, if it states only "photocopy" , as it does in the "Check List" then, no, the photocopy does not have to be notarized.

Now having said all this I can understand that photocopies should be Notarized to prove that the photocopy is a true copy of the Original but that is not a requirement. Today I discovered an Answer: