Need for Criminal Record Check for Parents when they stay in Canada


New Member
Hi, Is there a need to get a criminal record check (certified with finger prints) for mother who had applied for Permanent residence while she stay in Canada as a visitor. I have applied for her PR when she is stayed hear as a visitor and she will stay here for another 6 months. Now I am not sure if I need to get her the CRC here in Canada. This CIC website says "You don’t need to provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada. "

Family members which include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children need not get police or medical checks for your parents or siblings.

According to the Official Canada Immigration website people need to have medical checks and police checks are the person being sponsored and his or her dependent children (unless the children are already Canadian citizens or PRs). Likewise, the sponsor does not get medical and police checks because the sponsor is already a Canadian citizen or PR.