Obtaining a visitor visa to Canada for a Cuban citizen

Pat

Hi there,
First of all thanks a lot for the opportunity to clarify all doubts. I've found your forums really helpful!
Here is the situation:
I would like to invite my Cuban boyfriend to come to Canada, because it turns out I'm pregnant. I would like him to come here, then sponsor him in the future.
What are the chances for him to be able to obtain a visitor's visa under these circumstances? And How long does that usually take? I've heard usually Cubans tend to have a very hard time obtaining a visitor's Visa even with an invitation letter.

Thanks a lot,

Patricia

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Has he tried this yet? http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp IT should tell him whether or not he will have an easy time applying.

I'm not sure if there are statistics available of rejections by country. But you should mention your pregnancy in the invitation letter. That should help.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I spoke to one of our consultants and was told that pregnancy doesn't count as what is known as "Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds" so he will just have to go through the visitor visa process like anyone else and you will both have to hope for the best.

Pat

Thanks for your prompt reply and the link, I will check it out. What would your fees and aprox. processing times be for an "inland" vs an "outside Canada" sponsorship applications?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
We charge $3750 for Cuban sponsorships, regardless of "inland" vs. outside the country. That's in addition to the government fees.
Also, if you want help with the Cuban marriage documents, we charge $950 for that, on top of the Cuban government fees. However, there is no obligation to hire us for both parts of the process, just whatever you feel you need help with.

Hope that helps.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Cuban marriage documents: 3 weeks once they are dropped off at the Cuban consulate

Plus

Inland sponsorship: 26 months from submission to CIC

OR

Overseas sponsorship: 12 months from submission to CIC

Hope this helps.