process for a Cuban to receive a tourist visa to visit Canada

vallero

Hello all
I just registered to this forum because I am hoping that someone can clarify the process for a Cuban to get a tourist visa for Canada. Rules have changed so some information in internet searches is out dated.
The person who I would like to invite lives in Santiago de Cuba and does not have internet access, therefore I will have to mail the applications forms to her and then she will have to go to Canadian embassy in Havana. I have some questions about that process.
She will need a biometrics document. I understand that is done in the embassy but first she needs to go to a bank to pay the fees as well I assume the visa application fee. Then she returns with receipts and has the biometrics done on site then submits that document as well as the required visa application forms. Am I correct about that?
Any other suggestions or information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, to the best of my knowledge you are correct about that, but I am only the webmaster and don't know for sure. Our RCICs, who handle more Cuban marriages and sponsorship than anybody else in Canada, would know definitively.

vallero

Further to my questions I read today that it is possible to prepay both the visa application and the biometrics fees in advance at any number of International banks in Cuba. If this is factual it would certain expedite the process at the embassy in Havana. However as I said in my first post there is a lot of out dated information in the internet so I am not certain if that is true. If anyone can verify this information I would appreciate it.
thanks

vallero

I will let you know about using a Santiago bank to prepay the fees when I have the information. Also when the process is finally complete I will summarise the entire visa application process.

vallero

I just received this information from Havana immigration IRCC. It is beyond depressing. Here is a direct quote:

Effective May 8, 2019, the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) Office in Havana is closed. All case specific inquiries about existing applications should be sent to the IRCC Visa Office at the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City at the email box below:

[email protected]

You can find the most up to date information on how to apply for various immigration, visa and citizenship programs online.

IRCC recommends that Cuban residents apply for a visitor visa, work permit or study permit online. They can also submit a paper application at any visa application centre (VAC) outside of Cuba. People who are applying for permanent residence under the economic and family class programs can continue to follow existing application instructions.

Those who are required to give their biometrics (fingerprints and a photo) need to travel to a visa application centre (VAC) outside Cuba.

Applications for Canadian Passports, Proof of Citizenship (citizenship certificates) and Permanent Resident Travel Documents (PRTD) will still be accepted at the Embassy of Canada to Cuba in Havana. However, Canadian permanent residents should always make sure that they travel with a valid Permanent Resident (PR) card.

For all other questions, please contact IRCC through our existing service channels.