PRTD AND PR CARD RENEWAL

chella99

Dear All,

I would be thankful for certain clarifications on my situation described below:

I had applied for my PR Card Renewal in May 2019, without fulfilling the residency obligation. After a long wait, just recently, I received the following email from the authorities:

Good day Chellamani Athazhawallur,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information on your file and are pleased to inform you that your permanent resident card (PR card) has been approved.

Once the card issued, it is sometimes randomly selected in order for you to pick it up in person at an IRCC office. This random selection is done to allow IRCC to gather information in our continuous effort to improve the processing of PR card applications.

As your card has been selected for pick-up, rest assured that you will be informed of the date, time, location for pick-up, and of the type of documents you will be asked to bring with you in due time.

Due to the ongoing situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), some IRCC offices are currently operating with reduced or critical staff only.

Rest assured that you will be informed if additional information is needed.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

I would be thankful for the following clarifications:

• Does this mean that they have decided to renew my PR Card ?
  • Since I am outside Canada, Should I apply for a PRTD now, before receiving the email that they have said that they will send or wait for that email ?
  • Will I have problems in getting the PRTD, because of my unique situation?
  • Will I be allowed to travel without a PRTD, based on the email already received and about to be received ?
  • If I am allowed to travel one way or the other, will I face any questions or a sort of a hearing session, when I go to meet the authorities ?
  • Any other aspects are there, which are crucial and I have not taken into account ?
I would be very thankful for a valuable detailed response.

Chellamani

chella99

Dear All,

While I am awaiting some response to my earlier queries, I just thought of one more thing and would like to have some quick valuable feedback:

I am thinking of writing through the web form to the authorities to request them to send the card to my Canadian address, in view of the Covid 19 situation. Do you think that I can try this and how do you that this will work ? Or will any such request be treated offensive and will it affect my chances of renewal of the PR Card ?

Please assist me quickly with your replies.

Thanks and best regards,

Chellamani

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:

• Does this mean that they have decided to renew my PR Card ? Yes, they have
  • Since I am outside Canada, Should I apply for a PRTD now, before receiving the email that they have said that they will send or wait for that email ? Well, you shouldn't have applied for it in the first place. You are supposed to be in Canada when you apply. So, one of two things are going to happen: it's going to be sent to the address in Canada they have on file OR that address will receive a request for you to pick it up in person (unlikely during the pandemic, but you never know). I would wait to find out what happens before applying for your PRTD because...
  • Will I have problems in getting the PRTD, because of my unique situation? If you apply for a PRTD now your status will likely be revoked
  • Will I be allowed to travel without a PRTD, based on the email already received and about to be received ? If your PR Card is mailed to your Canadian address and somebody can successfully get the PR Card from that address to you, then you should be able travel back to Canada without issue.
  • If I am allowed to travel one way or the other, will I face any questions or a sort of a hearing session, when I go to meet the authorities ? Though, during this time, I can see you getting questioned entering Canada with such a new PR Card during the pandemic. In normal times you would not get questioned about how long you've been outside of Canada if you have a brand new PR Card.
  • Any other aspects are there, which are crucial and I have not taken into account ?
Addendum:
Where is it supposed to go to? Under normal circumstances you cannot provide a foreign address as part of your PR Card application.

chella99

Thanks a lot Riley for the valuable response.

Just to clarify and to ask you further:

I have provided the Canadian address of the apartment owned by me along with my wife.

I had raised a point whether thru a web form enquiry, I can request the IRCC to send the PR Card to my residential address in Canada due to Covid 19 situation, instead of being asked to come to pick up the card. If I request so, will be considered as a threat or adverse to issue of the PR Card ??

What sort of documents they ask for in in interview for this purpose ??

Thanks and warm regards,

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you ask them directly if they can mail it to you I think they're likely to take that as an indication you're not in the country. Just wait to be informed about whether or not you have to pick it up. (I don't know if they're actually doing pickups right now, given the pandemic.)

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that, when you are asked to pick up the PR Card, they just want to physically see you are in Canada. (This is different from them asking you for more information to prove your residence before the card is approved.)

chella99

Once again thanks a lot Mr. Riley for your valuable insight and I can see how they view things and what they expect ! So the best thing, I think, is to wait for the letter/email that they said that they will send. Thank U.

veha

Let me try to answer your questions:

• Does this mean that they have decided to renew my PR Card ? Yes, they have
  • Since I am outside Canada, Should I apply for a PRTD now, before receiving the email that they have said that they will send or wait for that email ? Well, you shouldn't have applied for it in the first place. You are supposed to be in Canada when you apply. So, one of two things are going to happen: it's going to be sent to the address in Canada they have on file OR that address will receive a request for you to pick it up in person (unlikely during the pandemic, but you never know). I would wait to find out what happens before applying for your PRTD because...
  • Will I have problems in getting the PRTD, because of my unique situation? If you apply for a PRTD now your status will likely be revoked
  • Will I be allowed to travel without a PRTD, based on the email already received and about to be received ? If your PR Card is mailed to your Canadian address and somebody can successfully get the PR Card from that address to you, then you should be able travel back to Canada without issue.
  • If I am allowed to travel one way or the other, will I face any questions or a sort of a hearing session, when I go to meet the authorities ? Though, during this time, I can see you getting questioned entering Canada with such a new PR Card during the pandemic. In normal times you would not get questioned about how long you've been outside of Canada if you have a brand new PR Card.
Addendum:
Where is it supposed to go to? Under normal circumstances you cannot provide a foreign address as part of your PR Card application.
I am quite surprised to read this reply,

I will be needing to renew my PR soon but I will need to travel within a month of applying for the PR Renewal, and given that it takes now several months for a PR renewal to be processed it seems absurd that applying for a PRTD would revoke my PR status even though I have been in Canada for over 3 years in the past 5 years from the time I will apply (before I leave Canada.

I would apply for PRTD as soon as possible after leaving Canada, my RO won't decrease for over a year since my RO is being counted from the end of 2016.

Also the IRCC website states to apply for PRTD if my card expires while I'm outside of Canada, and it does not say it would revoke PR status.

The only reason I'd find that chella99 PR status would be in jeapordy is if that person has not met the RO and applies for PRTD.
otherwise if chella99 is well within satisying the RO then there should be no reason to worry about losing PR Status then.

Also as long as the PR Renewal was submitted before the person's departure, there is nothing on IRCC's website stating that applying for a PRTD would likely result in the revocation of PR status. In fact it encourages to apply for PRTD in case you have to travel soon.

Did I misunderstand your reply?

I am considering to use immigroup's services on my PR Renewal and Citizenship application and possibly even PRTD applicaiton,

my decision will probably also rely on the reply regarding this.

Last edited:

veha

I am quite surprised to read this reply,

I will be needing to renew my PR soon but I will need to travel within a month of applying for the PR Renewal, and given that it takes now several months for a PR renewal to be processed it seems absurd that applying for a PRTD would revoke my PR status even though I have been in Canada for over 3 years in the past 5 years from the time I will apply (before I leave Canada.

I would apply for PRTD as soon as possible after leaving Canada, my RO won't decrease for over a year since my RO is being counted from the end of 2016.

Also the IRCC website states to apply for PRTD if my card expires while I'm outside of Canada, and it does not say it would revoke PR status.

The only reason I'd find that chella99 PR status would be in jeapordy is if that person has not met the RO and applies for PRTD.
otherwise if chella99 is well within satisying the RO then there should be no reason to worry about losing PR Status then.

Also as long as the PR Renewal was submitted before the person's departure, there is nothing on IRCC's website stating that applying for a PRTD would likely result in the revocation of PR status. In fact it encourages to apply for PRTD in case you have to travel soon.

Did I misunderstand your reply?

I am considering to use immigroup's services on my PR Renewal and Citizenship application and possibly even PRTD applicaiton,

my decision will probably also rely on the reply regarding this.
I forgot to mention my PR card has already expired, I didn't renew it earlier because of reading that its best to apply with even more than 900 days of RO, and now I have 3 years of RO and soon to be more.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The OP said:
I had applied for my PR Card Renewal in May 2019, without fulfilling the residency obligation
So my answer was regarding that.

You're in a different situation, veha. If you submit your PR Card application before you leave and then apply for a PRTD from abroad, there should be no issue with that given that you've met the residency obligation. (Unless I've missed something.)

chella99

Dear Riley,
I have been informed in the email that I have referred above that I shall be advised of the documents to be brought by me, when IRCC Office will ask me to come over.
Can I have an idea of what documents thye would look for ??

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Likely documents that can prove you meet the residence requirement. Bills and the like. I've never personally seen one of these requests but my understanding is that they require documentation that puts you in Canada during times you say you were in Canada.

chella99

Thanks Riley, but as I had stated, I had applied without fulfilling the RO and the email that I reproduced above is in response to my application in which I had stated everything clearly and truthfully. Then what will they be expecting from me ?

Thank U

chella99

Can my son (in Canada) speak to IRCC on my behalf (Iam outside Canada now) and request for the status update and to request IRCC to send the card to our home in Canada ?? If not, how to contact IRR from overseas ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
He can if you make him your representative (assuming he's 18). You have to submit the Use of Representative form.