Should I inform IRCC of my common law union ?

nightmare

Good day,
I hope everyone is doing well.

I believe that I am in the final stages of my PR application. This afternoon I received an email from IRCC with the subject heading: IRCC Permanent Residence Confirmation Portal.

There is an attachment to the email instructing me to provide information. They are also asking if there have been any changes in my living situation since applying for Permanent residency.

This is a quote from the email:
"
Changes to your situation:
You must inform us immediately by replying to this email of any of these changes:

- You get married, divorced, enter a common-law union, or become separated from your
spouse.

In the event of the death of
- the sponsor;
- the principal applicant; or
- any accompanying family member.
- You, or any of your family members, give birth to or adopt a child.
-You, or any of your family members, are charged or convicted of a criminal offense.
-You, or any of your family members, are no longer interested in becoming permanent
residents of Canada.
"

There is only one change that has happened. I have been living with my girlfriend of five years for the past year. Both of our names are on the apartment lease and we have been living together since September 2022. So technically we are now officially in a common law union.

When I submitted my PR application in October 2022 we had only been living together for a month so I am not sure if I would have listed her as a common law partner. I don't think I would have.

Since we are now officially in a common law union should I tell IRCC that I am in a common law union even though we weren't at the time of the application? I am afraid that this might hold up the processing of my PR application. Does anyone know how much time this may potentially add to my application process?

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Regards,

IMMIgroup

Get Answers!
Staff member
Phone
+1-416-962-2623
Web
https://immigroup.com
Email
[email protected]
Yes, I would inform IRCC of your common-law union. From your post I'm assuming the following:
  • your partner is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • you are living with them in Canada under legal temporary status
  • you are not being sponsored by your partner
However, it's not quite clear whether any of this is true from reading your post.

nightmare

Yes, I would inform IRCC of your common-law union. From your post I'm assuming the following:
  • your partner is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • you are living with them in Canada under legal temporary status
  • you are not being sponsored by your partner
However, it's not quite clear whether any of this is true from reading your post.

Thank you for your response. I came to Canada as a student and I am currently on a postgraduate work permit. My girlfriend is a foreign national here in Canada she is an international student and we have been living together for over 1 year. So that is our current situation.

I have already informed IRCC about our common law relationship but I am not sure how much longer they will take to process our application. Would you happen to know ?