Sponsoring my girlfriend

mmarkovs

Hi Riley,

Thank you for the information.

We are now officially married! I have some more questions yet again,

1) Do you know if we can submit the inland application using the Temporary Marriage Certificate that was given to us by the officiant right after the wedding? It has signatures and everything on it) Or do we need to wait for the Official Marriage Certificate that is sent 8-12 week after the marriage? We just want to get this going as quick as possible as it is hard living off one income.

2) I am still having a very hard time with the fact that by applying inland, we risk her being refused entry if we decide to leave for a wedding in Macedonia. I know you told me that if I print out a copy of the application I should be fine, but by looking on Canada Visa, many people say it it still la risk. So my question is this: Do you think applying Outland would be better? Tha tway she can leave and come back. How long does this process take? I heard it is a lot faster and some people even say 3-8 months to become a PR.

Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
1) I don't know. I think it's probably best to wait, but once the consultants come in for the day, I will ask them. This is a BC marriage certificate, right?

2) She can get a visa and bring a copy of the application. I'm not sure why some people are denied entry in this situation. But it may happen. (It can happen for any number of reasons.)
Outland processing time for Macedonia: 18 months
Inland: 26 months
So it makes an 8 month difference, at the moment. However, she will not be able to work here or live here for those 18 months and, if she does visit you, she will have to prove she will be returning to Macedonia when her visa/entry stamp expires.

Hope this helps.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Consultant says submit the temporary one with the application, and then submit the official one later, once you have it.

mmarkovs

Hi Riley

Thanks again.

1) This is an Ontario marriage. How would I submit the official one when I have it? Just mail it to the office saying this is the official certificate? Those usually take like 12 weeks to get, so if I were to complete the application with the open work permit application including the temporary marriage certificate, you would think she would be approved for the open work permit before I even get the official certificate lol.

2) Are you referring to bringing a copy of the open/work permit visa? Also, i did think that outland meant you cant be in the same country. Im confused to why people on Canada visa are saying you can be in the same country.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
My apologies, I don't know how I confused Ontario and BC.

1) Sorry, I don't really know the details. But I believe you would just mail it with reference to your application number or UCI. You can always call CIC to ask. The temporary certificate should have as much weight as the real one, I think.

2) No, I wasn't. She can't apply for an open work permit if you are doing it outland. If you are doing inland, she will need a visitor visa to travel to Canada, even with the work permit. I have no idea why people would be saying that. Maybe they are wrong; maybe they are breaking the law; maybe the spouse visits on a multiple-entry visa, leaves, comes back, laves, comes back, etc. I really don't know.

mmarkovs

Im a little confused as to why she would need a visitor visa once she is approved for the open work permit. Right now she is here on her multiple entry tourist visa. I thought that once she submitted the sponsorship application and was approved for the open work permit, that her status here would chnGe. Sorry if I am not understanding properly.

I also wanted to ask about getting a consultation with a lawyer. What does that entail? Will they be able to provide me with some legal expert advice regardijg some of these questions? Is it a time capped consultation or? Thanks again.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Again, my apologies. I forgot about that visa.
If she has the multiple entry work visa and it's still valid, she doesn't need a new visa.
To clarify, a work permit is permission to work in Canada. A visa is permission to travel to Canada. A work permit does not, in and of itself, contain a visa.

If you're looking for a consultation with us, it would be with a Registered Immigration Consultant (RIC), not a lawyer, as we don't employ any lawyers. (To learn more about RICs, read this http://www.immigroup.com/immigration-consultants-what-we-do or see https://www.iccrc-crcic.ca/home.cfm.) Our consultations are CAD$84.75 and usually last between 20 minutes to a half hour. They will be able to help you decide whether to pursue inland or outland, for example.

mmarkovs

Okay thanks. I think I'd like to book a consultation just to verify a few things. You've been a great help. How can I book one of these? Is there a page that tells me what I need to prepare? Should I bring the application or just a general overview of our situation with questions ready? Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
Are you in Toronto? If you're in the GTA, you can come in, in person. If not, we can do it over the phone.
You can book it a few ways:
  • email us at [email protected] and ask for a spousal sponsorship consultation
  • call us at 1-866-760-2623 and ask to book a sponsorship consultation with Anthony or Cassandra
  • or you can tell me some preferred dates and times and I can check with the consultants to see what's available.
For a consultation, they will not review your application, they will just answer your questions.
http://www.immigroup.com/immigration-consultation-details