Sponsorship

clutch320

Hi!
I have a sister whose a Canadian citizen for more than 5 years now. She said last year that she can sponsor us (My Filipino family: wife 39yrs old, daughter 4yrs old and I 42yrs old). Then all of a sudden, she said upon reviewing immigration laws in their place, she said that they are no longer allowed to sponsor. She added that she sa a clause in the CIC website that it cannot be done. However, she ain't sure is this only applies to where she's residing now of if this is for the entirety of Canda. She resides in Mississauga, Ontario. Can you please advise if this is accurate/correct? Is there any government institution she can call/email to get a concrete answer on this query? You're time on this matter is highly appreciated. Thank you so much for answers.

By the way, I forgot to mention (as it may seem to be important) that my sister is married, has 2 kids and all of them are citizens.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Your sister never could sponsor you, to the best of my knowledge. She must have misread something. Sorry for the bad news.

clutch320

Hi. Riley,

Yeah bummer Riley. I was about to go with an agency and come to Canada as a student. I stopped because my sister suggested otherwise and apparently you're right. She must've misunderstood or was given unsolicited advise. It was puzzling and somewhat heartbreaking as I know someone outside of Ontario that was able to sponsor his sibling years before. So I'm guessing that there was a recent update? Can you please give me a link or anywhere that I can read about sponsorship? So now I'm left: 1. Express Entry 2. Someone can/willing to sponsor ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
To my knowledge, the only way to sponsor a sibling is through a business, and this option is only available in (I believe) two provinces, neither of which are Ontario.

(There is one exception to the rule about no siblings that does not apply to you but I'm not even sure it's possible any more. And I don't know if those applications are ever approved if they are still allowed.)

Here's our page about sponsorship: https://www.immigroup.com/family-class-sponsorship-canada

You are left with FST or FSW through Express Entry or coming here as a temporary worker or student and then trying to apply for CEC through Express Entry (takes much longer, especially the student route).

alexmp365

Hi Riley!! I'm from Greece. My wife is sponsoring me from Canada Quebec. We applied on march 2018.Already been accepted from Canada and Quebec.Since July 2018 my file is in Rome for final decision and i don't have any updates since then.Do you guys know how long it takes for them to get it done?? Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Normally it's a 12 month process, however IRCC has removed the public information about individual visa office processing times, meaning 12 months is just the global average. Rome may be busier than others, I don't know. You can try a case specific enquiry with the visa office. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

alexmp365

In total it’s been 15 months now.And it doesn’t seem that there’s a problem with the documents or something .I did e-mail them and the answer that I get is the same.I have to wait,if they need any additional documentation or a final decision is made they will contact me.That’s their response.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It might give you some more information as to the reason for the delay. However, you might have a decision on the application by the time you get the GCMS notes. You also might not get much satisfactory information from them. It won't speed up the application either way.

Kishor

Hi Riley,
I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your response.
My wife is a Canadian citizen since 2014 and I had been a permanent resident previously but had to give up the status since I could not complete the number of days required to be in Canada due to work related commitments else where. I am now planning to settle down in Canada. I wanted to know how long would it take to get a PR status with her sponsorship while I am in Canada? While I am in Canada and the PR application is in process will I be able to travel outside Canada. In case I want to work while in Canada what are the formalities for getting a work permit.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Sponsorship applications take an average of 12 months.

You can travel during a sponsorship process, but it's recommend you travel with your wife.

You can apply for a work permit at the same time as you submit the sponsorship application.

Did I answer your questions?