Spousal sponsorship - common law


New Member
My boyfriend from ireland and and are in a common law relationship and are looking at sponsoring him for permanent residency in canada. He was married in ireland, but has not had contact for some time. No legal separation document or divorce. What is the correct way to fill out the application form with his past and current marital status?

Riley Haas

Staff member
Sorry to say, he needs a divorce. Does Ireland have no-fault divorce? In Canada, he can get a divorce if he's not had contact with his spouse for a given period of time (I think it's a year, but you'd want to check with a lawyer).