Study permit and monetizing online content


New Member

I'm originally from Germany, I'm in Canada on a year-long study permit, and I was wondering how monetizing online content like videos on Youtube or articles on other sites would be related to my study permit. My permit states that that I "may accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(F), (V) or (W)", and the companies owning the websites on which I would like to monetize my content are based in the US, not in Canada. Would I be allowed to monetize my content in this case, or is there anything that forbids me from doing so? Also, if the former is the case, considering I would stay way below the $11,635 from which on one has to pay federal income tax, would I have to declare the money earned through this monetization in any way?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Riley Haas

Staff member
That's a good question but there is no clear answer because the rules either were written before the internet existed (and adapted more recently) or were written by people who do not conceive you could earn money this way. I don't know if there have been any test cases either.

Think about it this way: how many hours per week will you be devoting to this enterprise? If it's less than 20 hours, you're probably okay.

Sorry I can't help you with the tax question.