Study Permit Expiring - How late can I travel back to Canada?

ronit1894

Hello Everyone!

I am an MBA student in Canada (McMaster Uni) and my studies got over in December. I had come to India in November for some important work and completed my final month of studies from India itself (Online). I am planning to travel back to Canada in the first week of March.

My question is: My Study permit is Valid until 30th March 2021. So what is the latest I can travel back to Canada? 2 weeks before the expiry, 3 weeks of expiry or even 4 days before expiry (i.e. 26 March) is fine? Let me know what is safe.

My plan is to go there and apply for my PGWP and start working on implied status as i already have a job offer there.

Let me know.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ronit

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You can travel back the day it expires. The problem is you have to have a reason to enter. And if you return with a soon to expire study permit they will want to know what you are doing. So you should be prepared to explain that you are applying on a PGWP before your study permit expires. (I believe you might even be able to do this at the port of entry, but I am not 100% sure about that.)

ronit1894

You can travel back the day it expires. The problem is you have to have a reason to enter. And if you return with a soon to expire study permit they will want to know what you are doing. So you should be prepared to explain that you are applying on a PGWP before your study permit expires. (I believe you might even be able to do this at the port of entry, but I am not 100% sure about that.)
Makes sense.
I have a job offer with me. If I show that at the port of entry and tell them I will be applying for PGWP before my study permit expires and then start working, would that be enough evidence to support my case?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As I said in the DM,
They may even issue you a work permit at the port of entry. Alternatively, they will let you in on the condition that you apply for a work permit immediately (or before your study permit expires).

So yes, bring that job offer along. Even though it's not necessary for a PGWP, it just shows you're serious.