If you are trying to visit or immigrate to Canada, you will likely have to complete the IMM 5465/5406 Family Information Form as part of your application for temporary or permanent residence. There are two slightly different forms which ask for the same information: the IMM 5465 is for those visiting Canada or working or studying in Canada temporarily. The IMM 5406 form is for those immigrating to Canada (i.e. applying for permanent residence).

Free Complete Spousal Sponsorship Course

What is the IMM 5645/5406 Family Information Form?

The IMM 5645 Family Information Form is part of the application package if you are immigrating to Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, worker, student) or permanent resident (it is called the IMM 5406 for permanent residents). It is the way you provide your family details to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada aka CIC) when they are considering whether or not you should be allowed to immigrate. IRCC wants to know about your family so they can establish if you or one of your family members is "inadmissible" to Canada. You can be inadmissible to Canada for financial, health or security reasons or for past violations of Canada's immigration rules and regulations. To learn more about inadmissibility and what you can do about it, see this page.

Who needs to complete the IMM 5645 /5406 Family Information Form?

Most immigrants and visitors to Canada must complete the form as part of their application to visit or immigrate to Canada. The only people who do not have to complete the form are those who do not require a visa to visit and who are only traveling to Canada for tourist or business purposes for less than 6 months.  


Who doesn't need a Visa?

You do not normally need a visitor visa to Canada if you are a citizen of one of the following countries and provided you are carrying valid, correct travel documents. Instead, you can apply for an eTA.

Andorra Chile Greece Japan Netherlands San Marino Taiwan*
Australia Cyprus Holy See (Vatican City)# Korea New Zealand Singapore United Kingdom and all british overeas territories##
Austria Czechia Hong Kong Latvia Norway Slovakia United States of America^^
Bahamas Denmark Hungary Liechtenstein Papua New Guinea Slovenia  
Barbados Estonia IcelandLithuania Lithuania Poland Solomon Islands  
Belgium Finland Ireland Luxembourg Portugal Spain  
Brunei France Israel^ Malta Romania Sweden  
Bulgaria Germany Italy Monaco Samoa Switzerland  
  • #Includes holders of passports issued by the Holy See that are not citizens of Vatican City
  • ^Passport must bet that of an "Israeli National" 
  • *Passport must include personal identification number
  • Includes citizens of the following territories:
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn
    • St. Helena
    • Turks and Caicos

    And it also applies to

    • British overseas citizens
    • Citizens of British Overseas Territories not listed above
    • British Nationals (Overseas)
    • British Subjects - provided the passport notes the "Right of Abode"
  • ^^Includes permanent residents provided they can show their green card and proof of permanent residence If you are not a citizen of one of these countries, then you need a visa to visit Canada and you are required to complete the 5465 Family Information Form. If you are a citizen of one of these countries, and you want to come to Canada permanently or temporarily for school or work, you also need to complete the Family Information Form (5406 for permanent residence applicants, 5465 for temporary residence applicants).

How can I get an IMM 5645 / 5406 Family Information Form?

The form is available form IRCC's website as part of every application package it is required for; it will be listed with the other application pdfs required for your application. If for some reason you cannot find it with your application package you can always search IRCC's website for 5645 or 5406 (depending on your application).

How do I complete the IMM 5645 / 5406 Family Information Form?

In order to complete the IMM 5645 you must include your personal information as well as the personal information of your immediate family, that is

  • your spouse (if applicable),
  • your parents,
  • your siblings
  • and your children (if applicable).

You must complete this information whether or not your family members are accompanying you to Canada. If you leave out any immediate family, this could impact the success of your application. If your native language is in an alphabet other than the Roman alphabet, you also need to write all names twice - first in English and then in the characters of your native language. If your native language is written in the Roman alphabet, you only need to write all names once. If you cannot fit your entire immediate family on the form, you need to use a second copy of the form, or another piece of paper, to include the remaining family members. Be sure to note all required information and include it on this additional form or piece of paper.

Once you have completed the form, you should sign it if you are applying by mail.

How do I submit the IMM 5645 / 5406 Family Information Form?

The form is submitted with the rest of your application:

  • If you are submitting your application by mail, you must print it off, ensure it is completed, sign it and include it in the same envelope as the rest of your application. Make sure you are mailing your application to the correct office.
  • If you are submitting your application online, you do not need to sign the form, as you will be required to complete a profile on IRCC's website which will act as your electronic signature. When submitting online, follow the instructions in the system.

Learn about coming to Canada permanently.

Call us at 1-866-760-2623 / (+1) 416-962-2623 or [email protected]


How to Complete the IMM 5645 / IMM 5406 Form

Free Complete Spousal Sponsorship Course


Immigroup.com/news is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on immigroup.com/news do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on immigroup.com are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on immigroup.com and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can take it down."