Open Work Permit for Sponsored Spouse with Inland Sponsorship
On December 7, 2016, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada announced a 1-year extension of the program allowing sponsored spouses to apply for open work permits. The program was originally announced in December, 2014 as we explained previously. The extension will be until December 21, 2017.
As the holder of an open work permit, you may work for any Canadian employer without a confirmed offer of employment. That’s a wonderfully flexible permit as you seek Canadian job experience to reinforce your application for permanent residence.
Who is Eligible?
To qualify for an open work permit, you must be the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You must be currently living in Canada at the same address as your spouse or common-law partner. That means you have been sponsored under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.
You must have a valid temporary resident status as one of the following:
- Temporary Worker.
As this is a measure to help you work while you await your permanent resident status, you will be in the process of one of the following:
- Applying for permanent resident but have not yet applied for an open work permit; or
- You will have already been approved in principle, but have not yet passed the medical, security, and background checks for yourself and family members; or
- You are about to apply under the SCLPC class.
If you have applied for PR status but have not applied for an open work permit:
- Go here to download and fill out your work permit application. Form IMM 5710: Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay, or Remain in Canada as a Worker is best filled out online using Adobe Reader 10. Ensure your Java Script is turned on, on your computer.
- Make sure your fees are paid.
- Mail the completed form to:
CPC – Vegreville
WP – Unit 777
6212 – 55 Avenue
If you have been approved in principle, but have still not passed your medical, security, and background checks, then you should apply for an open work permit online.
- If you are part of the pilot program, and already have an open work permit, you must apply for an extension before your current open work permit expires. Go here for more information.
If you are just applying under the SCLPC class, then you should submit 3 applications at the same time:
- A work permit application for your open work permit;
- A sponsorship application with your spouse or common-law partner;
- An application for permanent residence under the SCLPC class.
You should mail your package to the following address:
CPC – Mississauga
P.O. Box 5040, Station B
By courier you should mail your package to:
Case-Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300
Get Your Application Package
For outland sponsorship application packages by country, go to this page.