Marrying and Sponsoring an Anguillan

Table of Contents

Listen to this article

Using the Government Directly

Please be aware that if you are filing your application yourself, you should do an extensive amount of research before proceeding. Please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada to learn more and visit the Sponsorship pages to learn about everything you need to do to get your spouse to Canada. The information can be found on Citizenship Immigration Canada’s website.

Marriage to an Anguillan Citizen

Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to an Anguillan citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.

You must demonstrate to the local officials that they are not currently married to anyone else – either you have never been married or all divorces are finalized – that your identity is proven and that you have never committed any crimes in Anguilla. This is done by providing various documents, including an Affidavit of Single Status to the local government either in Anguilla or via a British embassy.

If you want to bring your Anguillan spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.


Anguillan Marriage Basic Requirements

In order to marry a citizen of Anguilla, you must demonstrate to the the local government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:

  • Proof of country of birth
  • Proof of single status
  • Proof of age requirement


Anguillan Marriage Ceremony

The marriage ceremony to an Anguillan citizen can legally take place in Anguilla, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or a visitor visa for your Anguillan spouse.


Family Members

If your Anguillan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Marriage document application.

If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry an Anguillan citizen.


List of British Consulates in Canada

Click here

Consulate of Canada in Anguilla

There is no Canadian diplomatic mission in Anguilla. For consular assistance contact the below mission in Barbados. For emergencies, contact British authorities.

High Commission of Canada in Bridgetown

Bishop’s Court Hill, St. Michael
P.O. Box 404
Barbados BB11113

Telephone: (246) 629-3550
Fax: (246) 437-7436
E-mail: [email protected]

View Larger Map

Emergency information for Canadians in Anguilla

For travel alerts, click here

Learn More



Also find these contents interesting