Marriage to an Argentinian Citizen
If you want to bring your Argentinian spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Argentinian Marriage Basic Requirements
In order to marry a citizen of Argentina, you must demonstrate to the Argentinian government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:
- Proof of country of birth
- Proof of single status
- Proof of age requirement
Argentinian Marriage Ceremony
The marriage ceremony to an Argentinian citizen can legally take place in Argentina, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or a visitor visa for your Argentinian spouse. To learn more about cereomny customs, see below.
If your Argentinian spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Argentinian Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry an Argentinian citizen.
How long is the Argentinian Marriage document valid?
The document is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. If you do not marry your Argentinian fiancé within 6 months of the issuance of the Argentinian Marriage document, you must apply again with new supporting documents.
List of Argentinian Consulates in Canada
Marrying in Argentina
If you are planning to marry your Argentinian spouse in Argentina and sponsor him or her to Canada, then you have come to the right place. This page provides basic details that as a Canadian you need to know before traveling to Argentina to marry your Argentinian spouse and sponsor him or her for permanent residency
To call Argentina from Canada Dial
011 – 54 – Area Code – TEL #
The format should be as follows 011 + 376 + phone number
Marriage in Argentina
No Marriage Can Be Performed If Both Parties Are Tourists in Argentina
- Application forms for permission to marry must be picked up at the district civil registry office no less than 30 days prior to the date the marriage is to take place. Normally the district of residence of the bride or groom will determine which district civil registry office will be used.
- Medical examination forms are picked up at the same time at the same office. A doctor will be specified. There is a fee for the marriage book. The interested parties will pick up the results of the examination.
- Either party may request the civil registry office in the area of residence to perform the marriage.
- Proof of previous marriages must show legal termination either by death or divorce. Death certificates or divorce decrees issued in Canada must be authenticated by apostille from the relevant office in Canada where the divorce decree was issued. This apostille process is accepted by the government of Argentina under the Hague Convention.
- Applicants stand in line on the appointed date at the Civil Registry Office on a first come-first serve basis. The ceremony will last only a few minutes. Two witnesses must be in attendance at the ceremony.
- Brides who are minors from 16 to 20 years old, and grooms who are from 18 to 20 years old must submit Birth certificate and parents’ Ids, plus a parental authorization presented. (Death certificate is needed if one of the parents is deceased). If the parents do not issue their consent, a judicial authorization will be needed. If one of the parents is absent, the one who is present must submit an ID and an authorization from the absent parent, authenticated by the nearest Argentine Consulate and subsequently authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Worship, Buenos Aires.
How to call Canada from Argentina
00 – 1 – Area Code – TEL #
Follow the dialing format shown above while calling Canada from Argentina.
- 00 – Exit code for Argentina, and is needed for making any international call from Argentina
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
Please note that Canada does operate a diplomatic mission in Argentina. In an emergency, you should contact the Canadian Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina using the information provided below;
After hours emergency contact information for Canadian citizens in Argentina
E-mail: [email protected]
Call collect: (613) 996-8885 / (613) 944-1310 (TTY) – The Emergency Operations Centre of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. An experienced officer is always available to respond to emergency calls from anywhere in the world.
You can also phone the numbers above and follow the recorded instructions to reach the Emergency Operations Centre.
In a number of countries, you can also call the 24/7 Operations Centre toll-free.
If you would like to see more information about marriage in Argentina, please let us know!
Immigroup will review your completed spousal sponsorship application.. Immigroup will make sure you have not made any mistakes on your application or in gathering the documentation of your relationship. We will assess your sponsorship letter and give you peace of mind that you are submitting an application with a very good chance of success. Don’t lose sleep at night worrying about whether you’ve done enough. Call us at 1-866-760-2623 for a review.