- A Central American country bordering the Caribbean Sea between Guatemala and Mexico
- The climate is tropical with very hot and humid weather, the rainy season starts from May to November and the dry season is experience in February to May
- Natural hazards are common especially hurricanes and coastal flooding which occur around June to November mostly in the Southern part
Marriage to a Belizean Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Belizean citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
You must demonstrate to Belizean officials that they are not currently married to anyone else – either you have never been married or all divorces are finalized – that your identity is proven, and that you have never committed any crimes in Belize. This is done by providing various documents including an Affidavit of Single Status to the Belizean government either in Belize or via a Belizean embassy.
If you want to bring your Belizean spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Belizean Marriage Basic Requirements
The procedure is easy and the conditions to meet before the wedding are:
- Couple must be in the country minimum 3 days before issuance of license
- Proof of citizenship, passport or birth certificate
- Proof of divorce
- Application for marriage license submitted to the registrar after the three days of stay, this takes about a day to process
- The wedding is performed by a Minister or senior pastor
- Two witnesses a male and female should be present
- The license costs $100 including an administrative cost of $5
What you need for a visa (if applicable):
- Passport valid for 6 months
- 1 passport color photo
- Proof of legal Canadian status like resident card, work or study permit
- Bank statement
- Visa fees $185 for single entry up to 90 days
Belizean Marriage Ceremony
The marriage ceremony to a Belizean citizen can legally take place in Belize, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or a visitor visa for your Belizean spouse. To learn more about ceremony customs, see below.
If your Belizean spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Belizean Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Belizean citizen.
How long is the Belizean Marriage document valid?
The document is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. If you do not marry your Belizean fiancé within 6 months of the issuance of the Marriage document, you must apply again with new supporting documents.
List of Belizean Consulates in Canada
Calling Belize from Canada
The country code is 501 so calling Belize you would dial 011 – 501 local number
Honorary Consulate of Canada to Belize
P.O. Box 610
View Larger Map
Immigroup will review your completed spousal sponsorship application.. Immigroup will make sure you have not made any mistakes on your application or in gathering the documentation of your relationship. We will assess your sponsorship letter and give you peace of mind that you are submitting an application with a very good chance of success. Don't lose sleep at night worrying about whether you've done enough. Call us at 1-866-760-2623 for a review.