Marriage to a Marshallese Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Marshallese citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Marshallese spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Marshallese spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Marshallese Marriage Basic Requirements
- A marriage may only be performed and solemnized by a Registrar, an ordained minister of church, a judge of the High Court or District Court, or by any person authorized by any other law to perform and solemnize a marriage. The person performing and solemnizing a marriage may receive a fee as may be prescribed.
- No marriage shall be performed or solemnized except in the presence of two witnesses.
- Where the marriage is between two non-citizens or between a non-citizen and a citizen, no marriage shall be performed or solemnized except upon a license granted under the hand of the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs is authorized to grant a license for marriage between two non-citizens or between a non-citizen and a citizen.
- Upon the application for a license, the Minister may (after inquiry and where he is satisfied that the parties are free to marry) grant a license, on payment of a prescribed fee. The license granted shall be valid only for a period of three (3) months.
If your Marshallese spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Marshallese Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Marshallese citizen.
List of Marshallese Consulates in Canada
Calling the Marshall Islands from Canada
011 – 692 – local number, where:
- 011 is the exit code for North America
- 692 is the country code for the Marshall Islands
- There are no area codes in the Marshall Islands
Calling Canada from the Marshall Islands
011 – 1 – Area Code – local number
- 011- Exit code for Marshall Islands, and is needed for making any international call from Marshall Islands
- 1 – ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
Area Codes of Canada
|Alberta||403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
|BC||236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
|Ontario||226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
|New Brunswick||506||Quebec||418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
The time in the Marshall Islands is GMT+12. Due to their proximity to the equator, the Marshall Islands do not observe Daylight Saving Time
|Canadian Time Zone||# of Hours the Marshall Islands are Ahead||# of Hours during DST|
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||20 hours||19 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||19 hours||18 hours|
|Saskatchewan||18 hours||18 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||18 hours||17 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||17 hours||16 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||16 hours||15 hours|
|Newfoundland||15.5 hours||14.5 hours|
Emergency Information for Canadians in the Marshall Islands
There is no Canadian diplomatic mission in the Marianas. For assistance contact the Australian High Commission in Micronesia.
Embassy of Australia in Pohnpei
H & E Enterprises Building
Telephone: 691 320-5448
View Larger Map
The Government of Canada’s Travel Alerts for the Marshall Islands
Sponsoring a Marshallese to Come to Canada
The sponsorship process is long and can be complicated. To learn more about it, click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in the Marshall Islands? Let us know!