The IMM 5645 / IMM 5406 Family Information Form

Table of Contents

If you are trying to visit or immigrate to Canada, you will likely have to complete the IMM 5465/5406 Family Information Form as part of your application for temporary or permanent residence. There are two slightly different forms which ask for the same information: the IMM 5465 is for those visiting Canada or working or studying in Canada temporarily. The IMM 5406 form is for those immigrating to Canada (i.e. applying for permanent residence).

What is the IMM 5645/5406 Family Information Form?

The IMM 5645 Family Information Form is part of the application package if you are immigrating to Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, worker, student) or permanent resident (it is called the IMM 5406 for permanent residents). It is the way you provide your family details to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada aka CIC) when they are considering whether or not you should be allowed to immigrate. IRCC wants to know about your family so they can establish if you or one of your family members is “inadmissible” to Canada. You can be inadmissible to Canada for financial, health or security reasons or for past violations of Canada’s immigration rules and regulations. To learn more about inadmissibility and what you can do about it, see this page.

Who needs to complete the IMM 5645 /5406 Family Information Form?

Most immigrants and visitors to Canada must complete the form as part of their application to visit or immigrate to Canada. The only people who do not have to complete the form are those who do not require a visa to visit and who are only traveling to Canada for tourist or business purposes for less than 6 months.


Who doesn’t need a Visa?

You do not normally need a visitor visa to Canada if you are a citizen of one of the following countries and provided you are carrying valid, correct travel documents. Instead, you can apply for an eTA.

Andorra Chile Greece Japan Netherlands San Marino Taiwan*
Australia Cyprus Holy See (Vatican City)# Korea New Zealand Singapore United Kingdom and all british overeas territories##
Austria Czechia Hong Kong Latvia Norway Slovakia United States of America^^
Bahamas Denmark Hungary Liechtenstein Papua New Guinea Slovenia
Barbados Estonia IcelandLithuania Lithuania Poland Solomon Islands
Belgium Finland Ireland Luxembourg Portugal Spain
Brunei France Israel^ Malta Romania Sweden
Bulgaria Germany Italy Monaco Samoa Switzerland
  • #Includes holders of passports issued by the Holy See that are not citizens of Vatican City
  • ^Passport must bet that of an “Israeli National”
  • *Passport must include personal identification number
  • Includes citizens of the following territories:
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn
    • St. Helena
    • Turks and Caicos

    And it also applies to

    • British overseas citizens
    • Citizens of British Overseas Territories not listed above
    • British Nationals (Overseas)
    • British Subjects – provided the passport notes the “Right of Abode”
  • ^^Includes permanent residents provided they can show their green card and proof of permanent residence If you are not a citizen of one of these countries, then you need a visa to visit Canada and you are required to complete the 5465 Family Information Form. If you are a citizen of one of these countries, and you want to come to Canada permanently or temporarily for school or work, you also need to complete the Family Information Form (5406 for permanent residence applicants, 5465 for temporary residence applicants).

How can I get an IMM 5645 / 5406 Family Information Form?

The form is available form IRCC’s website as part of every application package it is required for; it will be listed with the other application pdfs required for your application. If for some reason you cannot find it with your application package you can always search IRCC’s website for 5645 or 5406 (depending on your application).

How do I complete the IMM 5645 / 5406 Family Information Form?

In order to complete the IMM 5645 you must include your personal information as well as the personal information of your immediate family, that is

  • your spouse (if applicable),
  • your parents,
  • your siblings
  • and your children (if applicable).

You must complete this information whether or not your family members are accompanying you to Canada. If you leave out any immediate family, this could impact the success of your application. If your native language is in an alphabet other than the Roman alphabet, you also need to write all names twice – first in English and then in the characters of your native language. If your native language is written in the Roman alphabet, you only need to write all names once. If you cannot fit your entire immediate family on the form, you need to use a second copy of the form, or another piece of paper, to include the remaining family members. Be sure to note all required information and include it on this additional form or piece of paper.

Once you have completed the form, you should sign it if you are applying by mail.

How do I submit the IMM 5645 / 5406 Family Information Form?

The form is submitted with the rest of your application:

  • If you are submitting your application by mail, you must print it off, ensure it is completed, sign it and include it in the same envelope as the rest of your application. Make sure you are mailing your application to the correct office.
  • If you are submitting your application online, you do not need to sign the form, as you will be required to complete a profile on IRCC’s website which will act as your electronic signature. When submitting online, follow the instructions in the system.


This form is also filled out by the principal applicant. However, copies of it must also be filled out by any dependent children of the principal applicant who are 18 or older, whether they are coming to Canada with the principal applicant or not. That means that if you have one 18 year old child as part of the sponsorship application, you need two of these forms in your application package.

Please note that information about the spouse/partner has to be included in this form as well.

For example, in the case of Parents/Grandparents Sponsorship, EACH of the following people must complete their OWN form IMM 5406, so you will usually have several separate form IMM 5406s in your application package:

  • The principal applicant (your parent or grandparent)
  • The principal applicant’s spouse or common-law partner, whether they are coming to Canada or not (your other parent or grandparent, or your parent’s or grandparent’s spouse)
  • Any dependent children of the principal applicant who are aged 18 or older, whether they are coming to Canada with you or not (your siblings, half-siblings or step-siblings).


IMM 5406 Additional Family Information Form page 1 top applicant, sponsor, parental information

Children are included, whether or not they have to complete their own copies of the form.

IMM 5406 Additional Family Information Form page 1 middle children and siblings

Siblings are included too.

Remember, the information provided in each copy is about the relatives related to the person filling out the form. So, if your child has to complete a copy of the form, they will fill it out differently than you will.

IMM 5406 Additional Family Information Form page 1 bottom certification

Here are a few more tips for filling our Form 5406/5645

To fill in Section A, do the following:

  • If you (principal applicant) were at your wedding ceremony, write “married-physically present” in the marital status box.
  • If you weren’t, write, “married-not physically present” in the marital status box.
  • Your spouse or common-law partner should do the same.
  • Fill in the remaining personal details as well.

Section B

Write the personal details of ALL your children – even if they are permanent residents or citizens of Canada. You should include:

  • Married children
  • Adopted children
  • Stepchildren
  • Children of your own that were adopted by another couple
  • Children in the custody of an ex-spouse (after a divorce)

In Section C you should write the personal details for

  • Brothers and sisters
  • Half-brothers and half-sisters
  • Stepbrothers and stepsisters

In Section D please sign and date the form.

When you sign the form you are certifying the information is correct. The information provided in this form can affect whether or not your non-accompanying family members can come to Canada in the future.

IMM 0008 General Application Form for Canada for a Sponsored Spouse Page 5: Consent and Declaration

Are you worried your application will get rejected because of an error? When you hire a specialist from our Immigroup network, you’ll get an advocate who is knowledgeable, honest, and reliable. Most of all, you’ll get peace of mind! Contact us today and see why so many of our clients are with us for life.


Also find these contents interesting