British citizenship for childern

Bullish_k

Hello, I need help to answer the below question.

My mother got UK citizenship thru registration based on that I got UK citizenship too thru registration.

Can my three children obtain UK citizenship too thru me as a father; they born outside UK & birth years 1996, 1999 & 2005.

Thanks, it would be a great help to me.

Bullish_k

Thanks for your reply

I have born Mar 1969 in Aden - the Republic of Yemen .

More details if it could help:-

1. My wife born in India & holding an Indian passport.

1. I moved for better living to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) where all my children have been born in UAE.

2. My father born in Aden & holding a Yemeni Passport & my mother born in India & holding British Passport.

Pls, let me know if you need further details.

Thanks for your help

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, from what you've said, it sounds like your children are not eligible for UK citizenship through descent. You would have to have been born in the UK or naturalized in the UK to pass it on. Sorry for the bad news.

Mike1234

Hi, I was born in 1989 in Hong Kong.

I am a British citizen through registration in 1992 through the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990.

Both of my parents registered as British citizens through the act.

Will my future child be eligible for British citizenship? I have received mixed messages and I am confused. Please help.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So the Hong Kong status is not heritable.

But if you are a full citizen as a result of registration, that citizenship should be heritable one generation abroad.

What's the three letter code on your passport?

Mike1234

"But if you are a full citizen as a result of registration, that citizenship should be heritable one generation abroad." - Wouldn't I have to be registered in order to become a full citizen? Forgive my naiveness.

The 3 letter code is "GBR"

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So you're a British citizen. So, to the best of my knowledge, your future children can apply for passports however their children will not be able to unless your children move to the UK.

Mike1234

Thanks for your clarification.

The part I have been confused is - would I be classified as British by descent, as my parents are British citizens as well. Or does that not apply since I got citizenship through registration?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing here but I believe that, because you registered as a British citizen because you were a British Overseas Citizen born in Hong Kong, you are considered to not have inherited the citizenship overseas. I could be wrong about that but I haven't seen anything that says this.

After all, you were born when it was still a UK colony, so you were born into British Nationality. Then, there was a law that allowed you to claim full British citizenship because you were born in that colony.

So my understanding is that you are British "otherwise than by descent" as it's known.