British Passport by descent

Anthony1005

I was born in Hong Kong in1998. Both my parents are Bno holders and they are now applying the Bno 5+1Visa to immigrate to the UK, which means they can ‘upgrade’ their nationality to British Citizen after 6years by fulfilling the requirments in the Bno Visa program. As written on the Gov.UK Website, British parent could pass on their citizenship to their children(born between1983 and June2006) if they are given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent). According to this statement, are they possible to pass their nationality to me if they successfully become British citizen.
*I am not applying the Bno Visa with them.
Thank You.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
"Uniquely, the BN(O) Household Member route allows an adult child of a BN(O) status holder or of the partner of a BN(O) status holder born after the handover on 1 July 1997 to apply on the Hong Kong BN(O) route as a dependant of a BN(O) status holder or their partnerwhere they form part of the same household. The BN(O) Household Member’s partner or spouse and dependent children can also apply with the BN(O) Household Member on the Hong Kong BN(O) route."

That sounds like you, right?

Thanks for the link!

Anthony1005

Yes but I am not applying the Bno Visa with parents as I am studying outside Hong Kong. Are they possible to pass their nationality to me if they successfully become British citizen.
Thank You.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
My reading of it is "no"

"The household member must:•normally live with the BN(O) •be the child of someone who is being granted permission as a BN(O) or the partner of a BN(O)•hold a valid TB test certificate when applying forentry clearance (HK 25.2) •hold a valid TB test certificate when applying in country (see HK 29.1 to29.4) •meet the maintenance requirements (HK 27.1 to27.5)•be ordinarily resident in Hong Kong, the UK, the Bailiwick of Jersey, the Bailiwick of Guernsey, or the Isle of Man (HK 28.1 to28.2 "

Under other naturalization processes, an adult cannot pass on citizenship to their adult child. So unless you can find a special exception for BN(O)s I don't think they can.