Eligibility for British passport

JanSLP

Hello,

I was born in Canada in 1966 with both parents being British citizens. We immigrated to the U.S. and all became naturalized US citizens. I have dual Canadian/U.S. citizenship....am I also eligible for a British passport?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you are. You can apply directly for a British passport.

You need the following to apply:
  • your long-form birth certificate listing your parent(s) names (both is better, but mother will do)
  • your parents' British birth certificates
  • your parents' marriage certificate.
Hope this helps.

JanSLP

Yes, you are. You can apply directly for a British passport.

You need the following to apply:
  • your long-form birth certificate listing your parent(s) names (both is better, but mother will do)
  • your parents' British birth certificates
  • your parents' marriage certificate.
Hope this helps.
Thank you!

Feebs78

Hello

Can someone please help me understand what I need to do.

My father married his second wife in Bangladesh and had my step brother who was born in Bangladesh. He is 13 living with his Bangladeshi born mother. My father has passed away but was british by naturalisation in 1969. I understand he is automatically british and can apply for a passport. Then I read in other places that he has to register to become British citizen first before applying for a passport. Can he apply direct for a passport or does he have to register first. Can we apply in the Uk online on his behalf or does he have to apply in Bangladesh at the British consulate. What documents do I need to provide. I have my dads expired british passport, his naturalisation certificate and the boys Bangladesh birth certificate with my dad as the named father. Do we need to do dna tests between us step siblings as my father is no more. Can someone please clarify.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Provided your step-brother was born after the date of marriage - as it sounds like - he can apply directly for a passport.

The naturalization certificate and passport for your father and the birth certificate with your father's name are good. A marriage certificate for your father and your step-mother is the last thing you need.

Apply online, as you said. If they want any more documents, they'll let you know.

Feebs78

Provided your step-brother was born after the date of marriage - as it sounds like - he can apply directly for a passport.

The naturalization certificate and passport for your father and the birth certificate with your father's name are good. A marriage certificate for your father and your step-mother is the last thing you need.

Apply online, as you said. If they want any more documents, they'll let you know.
Thanks Riley. It confirms as I thought. Yes he was born after their marriage. But can I apply online in the Uk as his representationor does he have to apply over there. I read you have to apply overseas at the British consulate and there is no online procedure like there is on the Uk. Just conscience that their level of English is poor and it’s easier for me to do it as I am born and bred in the Uk.

Feebs78

Yes same link I saw. Thanks for your responses and confirmation. At least I’m comfortable now that I am following the right process.