How to Prove Common Law

CatLou

Myself and my partner have been living together for a year but in a property that my dad owns. We didn't bother changing utilities into joint names when he moved in as we didnt have any cause to at the to e. We also dont have a joint bank account. We can do this now but im concerned about how to provide proof for the last 12 months. We havent initiated an application yet but dont want to have to wait another 12 months if we can avoid it. Does anyone know of any alternatives? He can prove the sale of his property and my dad can write a letter, but there is no lease. Would that be enough? Any advice is welcome. Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have IDs that show you both living there? That would be the first step. And any mail addressed to both of you (or mail addressed to each of you).

And yes, your father should submit an affidavit about this.

Ela Dan

Do you have IDs that show you both living there? That would be the first step. And any mail addressed to both of you (or mail addressed to each of you).

And yes, your father should submit an affidavit about this.

I have somewhat a similar situation. I have a partner to whom we have 3 kids together and have stayed together for 8 years.
I have paid bride price (African tradition) but we have not signed any married certificate or anything towards that.

We are from different countries and we met in South Africa. How do I prove our union on express entry?

IMMIgroup

Get Answers!
Staff member
Phone
+1-416-962-2623
Web
https://immigroup.com
Email
[email protected]
As mentioned above, any official South African ID for both or either of you, or any utility bills that show both your names are linked to the same address. Birth certificates for your children that list both of you as parents can also be helpful. Go to this link and scroll down to where it lists co-habitation:

Ela Dan

As mentioned above, any official South African ID for both or either of you, or any utility bills that show both your names are linked to the same address. Birth certificates for your children that list both of you as parents can also be helpful. Go to this link and scroll down to where it lists co-habitation:
-----------------------------

Thank you very much for the feedback. We are both immigrants from different countries and not South African citizens. However, you pointed me in the right direction.