Inland vs Outland Spouse Sponsorship


New Member
Hi everyone,

My spouse and I have been discussing how we should submit our application as inland and outland, and as we consulted some lawyers we received mixed responses so right now I'm not sure what best to do. We were married in February and were never living together until recently. However, I will be moving to Ottawa because of study while my spouse will stay in Mississauga due to work. My question is that should I apply inland as we only live together for ~2 months (share rent, car insurance, joint bank etc.)? Would it help if I frequently visit my spouse when I am in Ottawa?

Any help is appreciated!

Riley Haas

Staff member
Well, you are both in Canada and married, I would file the application inland. This way you get an open work permit and don't have to leave Canada.