Is my son British?

superreggie

My parents are British by birth. I was born in Canada, and applied for and got a passport in 2015. My son was born outside the UK in 2003.

It says that he is a British citizen if I was a British citizen when he was born. But... was I a British citizen at birth? Or only after I got my passport? Can I get a passport for my son?
thanks!

superreggie

Unfortunately, British passports only go one generation. Your son is not eligible.
Here are some more resources on this subject: https://britishpassport.ca/faqs/how-do-i-know-if-im-a-uk-citizen/
By that resource, my "Passport Code" says GBR (which means "British Citizens"), and so under the "Status inheritable from a parent?" column, it says "Yes, provided your parent was born in the UK or naturalized before your birth". Assuming "naturalized" means becoming a British citizen, then he can inherit my status. What am I missing?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You are not "naturalized"; you are not an immigrant that moved to the UK and became a UK national over time. Here is what the UK government has to say about this subject, "British citizenship is normally automatically passed down one generation to children born outside the UK. For example, you might automatically become a citizen if you're born outside the UK to a British parent. But your children will not automatically be citizens if they're born outside the UK. ", source.

The other thing you can do is try giving HM office a call: contact info