Bring Your Mexican Spouse or Partner to Canada

Mexican wedding By Carlos t (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

[Public Domain]


Step 1: Marrying Your Partner

The process of bringing a foreign spouse or partner into Canada will vary from country to country, but overall, the sponsorship process will remain the same. Before you can even consider sponsoring your partner, you will need to obtain a valid marriage license. In many cases, this must be done in their home country. Keep in mind that you will not be able to apply for sponsorship until you have a marriage license and that your partner will need an eTA to travel to Canada with you until their permanent residence status has been finalized. 

The process for marrying a Mexican citizen will involve showing proof of your identity to the Mexican government, including birth certificates, passports, proof of divorce or death from your previous spouse (if applicable) as well as a completed marriage application. The Mexican government may require additional paperwork in order to approve your application. 


More Details


Step 2: Sponsoring Your Mexican Spouse

Start Now

After you and your spouse or partner has received your valid marriage license, you have six months to get married or you will be required to renew it. At this time, you can also go ahead and begin preparing the sponsorship application. As long as you can provide proof of your marriage, as well as both you and your partner’s identity and citizenship status, you can apply for their permanent resident status.

In order for you to be allowed to become a sponsor for your foreign spouse or partner, you will be required to meet the certain requirements:

  • Ability to prove your Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status via a passport, birth certificate, etc.
  • Ability to prove you reside permanently in Canada
  • You have no bankruptcies, defaults in your finances, or issues with your banks or bills
  • You are not in jail or prison
  • Ability to prove you can adequately support to your spouse or partner and any dependants financially
  • You have no dangerous sexual or violent crime convictions.
  • Within the last 3 years, you have not sponsored another person
  • You are not receiving social assistance from the government (excluding disability).

In order for your spouse to live permanently with you in Canada, they will need to become a permanent resident. You will be required to provide documentation showing your identity as well as proof of your marriage. The same goes for your spouse, and they will also be required to have a medical and background screening done. Please note that no applicants with a criminal record will be considered for permanent residence or allowed to enter Canada unless they have addressed that inadmissibility already.

The responsibilities of the sponsor include taking responsibility for the welfare of your spouse or partner and any of their dependants you have taken on. The two of you are agreeing that you, the sponsor, will provide shelter, food, clothing, water, personal items, hygiene products, adequate health care, as well as take the bulk of the financial responsibilities until your spouse or partner is granted their permanent residence. During this time, your spouse will have to agree not to turn to the government for help with finances or health care.

Learn More About Sponsorship Learn More About Mexican Immigration To Canada

This article was commissioned by George Laczko.

Category: is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can take it down."