How to fix an error on your American Passport from Canada

Table of Contents

There are two types of errors, both of which you can fix by following a few simple steps below.

  • Data errors: these are things like misspelled names or incorrect dates.
  • Printing errors: these are things like missing information in your passport; discoloration of your passport when you received it; crooked print on your passport.

Here’s what you have to submit:

  • Completed form DS-5504 – We’ll detail how to use DS-5504 to correct errors just below, but also please see our page on name changes to see how to complete DS-5504.
  • Your most recent passport containing the error
  • 1 color passport photo – see our tutorial on renewing your US passport for photograph specifications.
  • Evidence of the error. This is a document like your birth certificate which contains the correct information that was mistakenly printed in your most recent passport.

There are NO FEES (unless you request Expedited Service which costs $60).

Note: Are you looking to apply for an American passport for a child – from Canada, click here.

Validity Period of new passport

If you report the error within 1 year of your most recent passport’s issue date then the validity period of your newly issued, corrected passport will be 10 years from the date of issue.

If you report the error more than 1 year after your most recent passport’s date of issue, then the validity period of your newly issued, corrected passport will remain the expiration date of the original, incorrect passport.

Using DS-5504 to correct errors

The only real difference from using DS-5504 for name changes is in the last section of page 2 of the actual form.

As well, remember to include documents that give the correct information as described on page 2 of the instruction pages of DS-5504:

Finally, if you cannot provide documents showing the correct information, you will have to use form DS-11 and appear at your nearest consulate/embassy or acceptance agency in the U.S. See our tutorial on name changes for US Passports for more information on how to fill out DS-11.

Have someone from our team call you back and answer all your questions.

Also find these contents interesting