TSA PreCheck

Table of Contents

TSA PreCheck PreEnrolment

TSA PreCheck is a DHS Trusted Traveler Program that enables low-risk airline passengers to enjoy expedited and faster security clearances at participating airport’s checkpoints. This can be for domestic or international travel. If you are already a member of the following DHS Trusted Traveller programs:

and you have a Known Traveler Number, or KTN, or have already been given a KTN through another channel, then you do not need to enroll in the TSA PreCheck application program.




Who is Eligible?

TSA PreCheck application is only available to:

  • U.S. Citizens, and
  • Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) of the U.S.

Children under 12 of those enrolled in TSA PreCheck may accompany TSA PreCheck-approved individuals.

In addition, the following conditions may disqualify your application:


Travel Alerts and Violations:

  • Any information from Interpol, or other international information, that the TSA decides disqualifies you from being a low-risk traveler.
  • Mention in any terrorist watch-lists or related government databases that the TSA decides disqualifies you.
  • Any other information relevant to your application and your identity that the TSA decides disqualifies you.
  • Any information relating to violations of transportation security regulatory requirements, including:
    • Security-related offences at an airport;
    • Security-related offences on board an aircraft;
    • Security-related offences at a maritime port;
    • Security-related offences in connection with air cargo;
    • Regulatory violations of any other kind.


Criminal History


Permanent Disqualification

The following Criminal Offences will permanently disqualify you, regardless of when they occurred:

  • Espionage or conspiracy to commit espionage;
  • Sedition or conspiracy to commit sedition;
  • Treason or conspiracy to commit treason;
  • Federal or equivalent State crime of terrorism or conspiracy to commit terrorism;
  • A Transportation Security Incident (TSI) related crime. A TSI includes: significant loss of life, environmental damage, disruption of a transportation system, and economic disruption not related to legal work stoppages;
  • Improper transportation of hazardous material;
  • Improper possession, use, distribution, manufacture, etc. of explosive materials;
  • Murder;
  • Bomb threats ,whether malicious, false, or of any other kind;
  • Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) of 1961 which includes any acts made while participating in an ongoing criminal organization;
  • Attempts to commit: espionage, sedition, treason, or terrorism;
  • Conspiracy or attempt to commit: TSI violations, Improper hazardous material transportation, Improper explosives possession etc. , Murder, Bomb threats, R.I.C.O. violations.


Temporary Disqualification

The following felonies will disqualify you if you were convicted, pled guilty (including “no contest”), or were found not guilty by reason of insanity within 7 years of the date you apply, OR, if you have been convicted and then released from prison within 5 years from the date you apply:

  • Unlawful possession, use, sale, manufacture, etc. of a firearm or other weapon;
  • Extortion;
  • Fraud, including identity fraud, and money laundering and any other dishonesty – with the exception of welfare fraud, and passing bad checks;
  • Bribery;
  • Smuggling;
  • Immigration violations;
  • Distribution, possession with intent to distribute, or importation of a controlled substance;
  • Arson;
  • Kidnapping or Hostage taking;
  • Rape or aggravated sexual assault;
  • Assault with intent to kill;
  • Robbery;
  • Fraudulent entry into a seaport;
  • Violations of R.I.C.O. that are not deemed permanently disqualifying;
  • Voluntary manslaughter;
  • Conspiracy or attempt to commit any of the crimes listed in this sub-section.


Other Temporary Disqualifications

A person will be disqualified if they are wanted or under indictment in any civilian or military jurisdiction for a felony in the above two sub-sections A and B, until the want or warrant is released or the indictment dismissed.


What Documentation is required for TSA PreCheck?

You must provide original or certified copies of documents that show your identity and your citizenship status during the TSA PreCheck program enrollment process. They must include:

  • One document from List A, OR
  • Two documents from List B.
  • The name on your enrolment application must be exactly the same as the name on your documents from List A or List B. If not, you must provide an original or certified name-change document (a marriage certificate, or divorce decree for example). If you have a document from List A below, provide that. If not, provide 2 documents from List B below.


List A

Only ONE document is necessary from the following list:

  • Unexpired U.S. Passport, book or card – Demonstrates U.S. Citizenship;
  • Unexpired Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC) – Demonstrates U.S. Citizenship;
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) – Designates U.S. Citizenship;
  • Unexpired Free & Secure Trade (FAST) Card – Designates U.S. Citizenship;
  • Unexpired U.S. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) OR Unexpired Enhanced Identification Card (EID) – Designates U.S. Citizenship;
  • Permanent Resident Card I-551, (“Green Card”) – Demonstrates Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status;
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport AND immigrant visa with I-551 annotation: “Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence of 1 Year” – Demonstrates LPR Status;
  • Unexpired Re-entry Permit I-327 – Demonstrates LPR Status.


List B

A minimum of TWO documents from this list are required. One of the two must be a Photo-ID document. The other must be a citizenship document. For example:

  • Driver’s License plus U.S. Social Security Card is NOT acceptable.
  • Driver’s License plus U.S. Birth Certificate IS acceptable.

The following B-list documents are divided into 2 sections. Provide 1 document from EACH section. Ensure your name in your TSA PreCheck application exactly matches your name in the documents or provide a valid name-change document:


Valid Photo ID

  • Unexpired Driver’s License issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S.;
  • Unexpired Temporary Driver’s License + Expired Driver’s License;
  • Unexpired Photo ID Card issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S. – must include official state logo: State University ID for example. Permits are not valid;
  • Unexpired U.S. Military ID Card;
  • Unexpired U.S. Retired Military ID Card;
  • Unexpired U.S. Military Dependent’s Card;
  • Native American Tribal Document with photo;
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner License, with raised seal; or certified copy of;
  • Unexpired DHS, or TSA, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC);
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Credential, (MMC);
  • Expired U.S. Passport, within 12 months of expiration.


Valid Proof of Citizenship

  • Original copy or Certified copy of Birth Certificate bearing an official seal;
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship: N-560 or N-561;
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization: N-550 or N-570;
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card: I-179 or I-197;
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad: FS-240;
  • Certification of Report of Birth Abroad: DS-1350 or FS-545;
  • Expired U.S. Passport within 12 months of expiration.

Note: Although it is on both lists, an expired U.S. Passport must be presented with at least one other document from List B, OR, with ONE of the following:

  • U.S. Social Security Card, OR
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers: DD-214.

Original or Certified copies of documents must be issued by ONE of the following:

  • A Federal Authority;
  • A State Authority;
  • A Tribal Authority;
  • A County Authority;
  • A Municipal Authority;
  • An Outlying Possessions Authority.

Notarized copies of documents are NOT acceptable.



The fee for enrolling in the TSA PreCheck application program is US$85. Border Cards charges an additional $75 service fee. You must pay the government fee at an Application Center (see below) using one of the following methods:

  • Credit Card: Visa, Master Card, American Express, OR Discover;
  • Money Order;
  • Company Check;
  • Certified Check/Cashier’s Check;
  • Application Centers DO NOT accept cash or personal checks.
  • All Certified/Cashier’s Checks or Money Orders should be made out to: “Morpho Trust USA” and be for the exact amount. No refunds or change are given.


How to Pre-Enroll

At the Universal Enroll page on TSA’s site you will be directed to choose which TSA service to click on:

  • Pre-enroll
  • Schedule or Manage Appointment
  • What do I need to bring to enrollment?
  • Check Status
  • Get KTN (Known Traveler Number)
  • Locate an Enrollment Center

If you click on the pre-enroll link, for example, you will be directed to a page where you answer questions about your citizenship and other personal information. Depending on your personal information, the page will give you your required documentation.

For example, if you were born in Monterrey, Mexico, and are Mexican, your status will be a Lawful Permanent Resident, LPR, or a Conditional LPR. Your required documentation will be one of the following:

  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card, I-551;
  • Foreign Passport (Mexican in this case);
  • Re-entry Permit, I-327.

You must choose one of the three options. And you must also indicate whether the name you are enrolling under is the same as that on all your documents.

For example, if you choose the first one, I-551, the PR Card, and you also indicate that your name that you are enrolling under is not the same as the one on all your documents, you are then required to bring the following documentation:

  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card, “Green Card”, I-551;
  • Original or Certified Copy of Court-Ordered Name Change Document.

You also have to indicate if you will need only one Name Change Document. If you indicate that you will need more than one Name Change Document, you will be required to have at least two Name Change Documents for your application. Remember, there are two types of documents you need in general, unless you have an ‘A List’ document as detailed above:

Your next step will be to use the Enrollment Center Locator to find the nearest one. There are over 300 Centers to choose from. You should note that at the current time, you must visit your chosen enrollment center within 45 days of pre-enrolling online. Keep this in mind when scheduling an appointment at your chosen enrollment center.

At your appointment, remember to bring the required documentation, as listed above. You can also check the online service at TSA PreCheck’s website: What do I need to bring to enrollment? As well, you must bring payment for your US$85 fee in an acceptable payment form, as listed above.

You may also visit an Enrollment Center without an appointment and without pre-enrolling online beforehand. If you arrive as a walk-in, be advised that you will face wait times which can be lengthy. You will have to provide the biographic information as a walk-in that you would have provided by pre-enrolling online. This includes:

  • Name;
  • Date of Birth;
  • Address.

At your interview – whether you are a walk-in or have a scheduled appointment – you will be fingerprinted and will have to provide valid identity and citizenship documentation as listed above. The processing fee of US$85 is non-refundable. You can also make an appointment by calling:

Universal Enrollment Call Center
1 – 855 – 347 – 8371
1 – 855 – DHS – UES1
Monday – Friday 8 AM – 10 PM EST


After Enrollment

Once you have completed your interview at your Enrollment Center, if your application is successful, you will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) in the mail. This should arrive 2 to 3 weeks after your visit to the application center. You can also go to TSA PreCheck’s website, and use the Check Status online service to see how your application is doing. You can also use the site’s Get KTN (Known Traveler Number) online service.

Once approved and having received your KTN, you must provide your KTN whenever booking a flight with the following participating airlines:

Air Canada Aslaska Airlines American Airlines
Delta Airlines Hawaiian Arilines JetBlue Airways
Southwest Airlines Sun Country Airlines United Airlines
US Airways Virgin America

Your KTN should be provided when making reservations through any of the following:

  • Participating airline’s website;
  • Participating airline’s phone reservation center;
  • Travel Agent or Management Company;
  • You can also enter your KTN in your Frequent Flyer Profile at a participating airline where it will be stored and used for future reservations.

Make sure your name used in your TSA PreCheck application matches exactly the name you use when making travel reservations on any participating airline. Your boarding pass will contain an indication that you are eligible for TSA PreCheck expedited clearance through security screening. You will not receive a card in the mail, or anything of the sort. Your key to the TSA PreCheck Program will be your Known Traveler Number, or KTN.


At the Airport

If you have your KTN and are eligible for expedited screening, information will be embedded in the barcode of your boarding pass. As well, the symbol for TSA PreCheck, or TSA PRE will be printed on your boarding pass near your name. When the bar code on your boarding pass is scanned, you will be directed to a TSA PreCheck lane as an eligible traveler, and any child under 12 may accompany you.

Have a safe and good flight!

Also find these contents interesting