Steps for moving US partner to Canada

kelsin

Hey everyone this is kind of new for me so forgive me if I don't know much about the process but essentially, my American girlfriend and I want to move her up to Canada so we can live together.
She is currently finishing up her schooling for a bachelor in psychology and I am currently in school for kinesiology. Our initial plan was to get married and have her come over by sponsorship (which we still have to look into) but then covid happened and now all the borders and everything are closed up and I'm not quite sure what the best thing to do is.
We have known each other 5 years and have been together for 3 years and I think both of us have collectively decided that her coming up her is the best long term plan and with the pandemic we have really realized how much we'd like to be with each other as soon as possible instead of waiting for too long.
She has some student debts that we are working on paying off but other than that we are pretty financially stable and have a pretty good goal of what we want to do in life and how to get there.
My main question I suppose is what are our options and what steps do we need to take in order to get there and get her to be a citizen?
Any sort of help at all would be really appreciated
Thanks!

canadageorge

Administrator
What I think you need to do is the following:

1. Start filling out this application: Spousal Sponsorship - Immigroup offers a free course, click here
2. In your case you will need to get married before you can file this application but because this application takes so long to complete you guys might as well start now.
3. Plan a date of marriage in the US or Canada (if Canada here is a step-by-step article, click here). As far as I'm aware you could still fly into US/Canada and things are starting to open up.

DFImmigration

Call us Today!
Phone
416-827-8778
Web
https://dfimmigration.ca
Email
[email protected]

kelsin

Hey everyone this is kind of new for me so forgive me if I don't know much about the process but essentially, my American girlfriend and I want to move her up to Canada so we can live together.
She is currently finishing up her schooling for a bachelor in psychology and I am currently in school for kinesiology. Our initial plan was to get married and have her come over by sponsorship (which we still have to look into) but then covid happened and now all the borders and everything are closed up and I'm not quite sure what the best thing to do is.
We have known each other 5 years and have been together for 3 years and I think both of us have collectively decided that her coming up her is the best long term plan and with the pandemic we have really realized how much we'd like to be with each other as soon as possible instead of waiting for too long.
She has some student debts that we are working on paying off but other than that we are pretty financially stable and have a pretty good goal of what we want to do in life and how to get there.
My main question I suppose is what are our options and what steps do we need to take in order to get there and get her to be a citizen?
Any sort of help at all would be really appreciated applinked
Thanks!
Solved. Thanks.

can'tsayforsure

Immigration to Canada is a complicated process, but not impossible. If you`re a resident of Canada and your documents are in order, the steps you were suggested will help.

can'tsayforsure

Immigration to Canada is a complicated process, but not impossible. If you`re Canada citizen and your documents are in order, the steps you were suggested will help. You mentioned that your partner is graduating - that's an additional opportunity. For example, after getting an education you get a work visa and through subsequent work experience, in the field you graduated in Canada, you can get residency and after citizenship. I had a similar situation with my sister, only she was moving to another country, you can click for more info. Of course, the bureaucracy there isn`t so complicated. But I think everything can work out for you.